Adaware

L

Lee

I run adaware twice daily, it finds (I remove) this file.

Vendor:possible Browser Hijack attempt
Category:Malware
Object Type:RegData
Size:-
Location:Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main "Start Page" ("about:blank")
Last Activity:09-05-2004
Risk LevelMedium
Comment:possible browser hijack attempt
Description:possible attempt to control\redirect the browser. This object referrs to a "blacklisted" site.

I have realised it does not want me to start as I always do with a blank page.

After deletion when I open IE it takes me straight to msn.com.

I am trying to work out if adaware sees my settings, about:blank as malware and that IE has by default www.msn.com as it's opening page.

Ideas?

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political Access
I think something else going on there, i've always had IE set to blank start page, never been picked up on adaware before

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
nah, that's something that's happened with one of their latest reffile updates.

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Lee said:
I have realised it does not want me to start as I always do with a blank page.

HMMMmmm is there a way to have adaware "remember" if you OK something as a setting you have chosen for yourself? I know Spybot S&D from 5.3 will also spot possible browser hijacks and does allow you to OK changes - infact any changes it picks up - with a check box to "remember" that choice and allow it to be OK'd again next time on auto.

Maybe you only get something like this in the paid for Adaware?

rotjong

OSNN Senior Addict
dreamliner77 said:
nah, that's something that's happened with one of their latest reffile updates.

I've changed nothing on my system before or after one of the latest ref file updates and suddenly I began getting this detection. I've since just added it to the ignore list.

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
hmmm I set the about:blank in the quicklaunch shortcut to IE...my homepage is msnbc which i like to go to periodically...

ZeroHour

ho3 ho3 ho3
btw about:blank CAN be overwriten and have a nasty redirect by spyware. Its just a standard HTML page hidden in windows.
Thats maybe why it picked it up.
Hmmmmmm me be thinking lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmilyFox