AD for FTP Server usage?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Could I use the Active Directory to manage users for an FTP Server

Never heard of it being used to manage shared webhosting, but can it?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Well it depends on how you want to manage the users.

If your FTP server connects to folders you can manage user permissions on those folders.

e.g.

FTP Site - User Permissions for Folders
downloads - All Users
uploads - Managers (a group you create)
private - Domain Admins

Then you would be able to use AD to control access depending on which group(s) you make the user a member of.

Other than that, AD only has the ability to control Terminal Services for protocols.

I was just wondering if it can be done. Thanks Madmatt.

What would be considered a downfall by going this route, as compared to using a dedicated FTPServer like BulletProof and such,

Heeter

Are you using the IIS FTP Server for internal and/or external use?

Some things to take into consideration for external use is anonymous usage. Make sure you use IIS to prevent such access and use authorization for security. Then employees can use their domain credentials to logon from home (if they need to connect to the FTP server that is).

Internal, nothing is wrong with using this method. You are restricting who has access to what the same way you would any other folder except they are using an FTP client to connect.

Hi Madmatt.

I am considering using Apache, would you recommend IIS for this instead? I am using Apache currently for my forums web page.

Heeter

This is how I feel... When I first started my NA job I only knew so much. I installed Apache, PHP, and MySQL so I could run an Intranet designed using PHP (and other various reasons).

After a year I asked myself why I was doing that when IIS can do every thing Apache can and ASP can do every thing PHP can.

My advice to you is to stick with IIS and ASP for a Windows network. Don't complicate your situation. Installing Apache, PHP, and MySQL just give you more to maintain especially when IIS keeps getting better with each release.

Awesome,

Thanks for your recommendation, Madmatt.

I don't know much about IIS/ASP, but it should be simple enough to move from Apache/PHP/MySQL to IIS/ASP

Should be a simple move, shouldn't it?

Heeter

IIS is easy to use. ASP is similar to PHP (then again most languages are). The hardest part will be figuring out which database to use (Access, SQL or MSDE, or XML).

I personally use XML because I don't have a lot of complex data.

Thanks Madmatt,

I now want to try out that combination.

Now your making me want to do that changeover, Thanks!!!! LOLOL

Heeter

It's well worth it, especially in a Windows environment. It took me some time to get ASP down and I still have a lot to learn (ASP.NET) but I'm enjoying it and it's making me more valuable.

One more quick question,

Would you know if php-based bulletin-board packages work with this XML/ASP/IIS setup? (Like phpBB, etc)

Heeter

You'll have to find one written in ASP. I know they are out there but I don't know of any off hand.

The only way you'll get some thing like that working on Windows is to install PHP and MySQL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back