ad-aware vs alexa registry key

A

anarkhia

i just installed windows xp, run ad-aware and found a reg key called alexa

what this means? winxp already comes with spyware?

it should be safe to remove, my system's runnin fine without it...

taken from SpyBot - Search & Destroy :

ALEXA
Functionality
Internet Explorer toolbar providing additional information and related links about visited websites.

Description
The privacy statement says it all. They are storing quite a lot information, including personal data like accounts (if account data is used in URL). They give other companies access to their databases; those may only use the data to what it was retained for. The statements says what the data was retained for, but doesn't give exlusions what it isn't retained for.

Privacy Statement
ALEXA COLLECTS AND STORES INFORMATION ABOUT THE WEB PAGES YOU VIEW, THE DATA YOU ENTER IN ONLINE FORMS AND SEARCH FIELDS WHILE USING THE ALEXA SOFTWARE, AND, WITH VERSIONS 5.0 AND HIGHER OF THE BROWSER COMPANION SOFTWARE, THE PRODUCTS YOU PURCHASE ONLINE. ALTHOUGH ALEXA DOES NOT ATTEMPT TO ANALYZE WEB USAGE DATA TO DETERMINE THE IDENTITY OF ANY ALEXA USER, SOME INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THE SOFTWARE IS PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE. ALEXA AGGREGATES AND ANALYZES THE INFORMATION IT COLLECTS TO IMPROVE ITS SERVICE AND TO PREPARE REPORTS ABOUT AGGREGATE WEB USAGE AND SHOPPING HABITS.
[...]
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf, such as technical support services. To perform those functions, it may be necessary for them to obtain access to Alexa’s databases and servers, which may contain personally identifying information about users. They may not use such access or information for any purpose other than that for which they are retained

but, can microsoft sell a product with spyware in this way?

Last I heard Internet Explorer is free. You don't have to use it. Try Mozilla. Works great.

I got rid of it a long time ago, no problems or issue's

Just for your info. I used to use ad-aware until I found a much more potent adware\spyware removal utility. This is a free progam and is kept up to date more often than ad-aware. SpyBot search and Destroy. As for Alexa. Many programs are bundled with spyware and there simply is no regulating it and so far no law against it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back