Active Desktop Tutorial

well, i've never used it, so i might not be the most helpful in this area

I get a new IE window opening when I click Save on my notepad quicknotes thing.

C:\active\java script:window.close();

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Guys, i was wondering how to change the font where the month and year appears to something like " Courier new" in the calendar?
Thanks !

It works Great, but....

First of all, i must say thanks to MadMatt for this great tutorial.

I tried it and it works great

Finally, something that don't rely on third party program to customize my desktop. Just VB script and things already present in windows.

I know that i can't have everything for nothing !!!!

BUT, before finding your tutorial, i was looking for a way to open a program from a local web page on my active desktop WITHOUT having to answer OPEN each time that windows was asking what to do with that type of file (.EXE)

Of course i couldn't uncheck this dialog box for the next time like i have done for all the other file type (.zip,.mpg,etc) All that for security reason AS YOU KNOW.

So to make a long story short, I'm glad i found a way to do it, but i was rather hoping for just a simple tweak in the registry to prevent this file type security thing, to make IE6 act like for every other file type. That way i would have just make a simple webpage without having to create all those little .vbs

So i guess, i will also take the long way to achieve what i want.

Don't get me wrong here, I'M VERY GRATEFUL and very "appreciative" of your work and people who share their knowledge like that. AND I'M GONNA USE IT...A LOT !!!!

Thanks again.

Find this part in Calendar.js

cal = '<table width="255" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" bordercolor="#E6DDD4">';
cal += '<td bgcolor="#34383F" colspan="' + DAYS_OF_WEEK + '"><div align="left"><a style="font-family: Courier New">';
cal += month_of_year[month] + ', ' + year + TD_end + TR_end;
cal += '</a></div></table>' ;
cal += '<table width="255" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" bordercolor="#F8A602" style="font-family: Courier New">' + TR_start;
cal += TR_start;

Add the parts in bold.

transparency

does anyone know if there is a way to make the backgrounds of the pages on an active desktop transparent? i think it would be cool if instead of white it showed through to whatever pic you have on your desktop...

Re: transparency

Originally posted by bruor
does anyone know if there is a way to make the backgrounds of the pages on an active desktop transparent? i think it would be cool if instead of white it showed through to whatever pic you have on your desktop...

Its been discussed before. There is no way of setting it transparent. You could take a screenshot of the part of the desktop picture which is going to be used as for active and set that image as background, but = effort.

Originally posted by DFX
I get a new IE window opening when I click Save on my notepad quicknotes thing.

C:\active\java script:window.close();

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

:huh:

i get the same thing DFX, but my IE window goes away after a second. it's hard to finish reading the text before it closes itself.

Re: It works Great, but....

Originally posted by zenno

snip

BUT, before finding your tutorial, i was looking for a way to open a program from a local web page on my active desktop WITHOUT having to answer OPEN each time that windows was asking what to do with that type of file (.EXE)

snip

So to make a long story short, I'm glad i found a way to do it, but i was rather hoping for just a simple tweak in the registry to prevent this file type security thing, to make IE6 act like for every other file type. That way i would have just make a simple webpage without having to create all those little .vbs

So i guess, i will also take the long way to achieve what i want.

snip
I too was also trying to make an active desktop with just HTML and without having to script each link to a program I would like to open. It worked successfully with just an HTML list. It did not work with frames or DHTML. Does anyone have any ideas as to why that is? Or if there's a fix for it? Thanks again, and great work matt.

Well after hoverin in this thread for ages I have finally got around to starting to make an Active Desktop
So.....
Question 1
This is in the Tut "Internet Explorer: explorer /root,,::{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}", I am just wondering, should I use that or a shortcut to iexplore.exe

Question 2
To make a link to say My Documents\My Music I would just put in the straight C:\Documents & Settings\.....\My Documents\My Music, is that right. I can also do this to make a link to C:\ and so on right.

Question 3
Can I make a shortcut to "Empty Recycle Bin" or am I better off, just linking to it and then emptying it from the window I get from there?

Question 4
If I have made a "Shorcut path" environment variable how do I define the paths to the vbs scripts in the html?

Re: Re: It works Great, but....

Originally posted by demonseed
I too was also trying to make an active desktop with just HTML and without having to script each link to a program I would like to open. It worked successfully with just an HTML list. It did not work with frames or DHTML. Does anyone have any ideas as to why that is? Or if there's a fix for it? Thanks again, and great work matt.

I have been tryin to do that for CD HTML interfaces for a while, but I think I will have to do it with vbs I just wish there was a better way, hell maybe xml or something, who knows?

Originally posted by Geffy
Question 2
To make a link to say My Documents\My Music I would just put in the straight C:\Documents & Settings\.....\My Documents\My Music, is that right. I can also do this to make a link to C:\ and so on right.

create a shortcut to windows explorer and right click on it. Go to Properties and where it says Target: it should say this:
%windir%\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\Documents and Settings\djwhite\My Documents\My Music

[edit] of course, you should replace \djwhite\ with whatever your user name is [/edit]

wohooo I have problems

well because I wanted to have a really cool menu thing, so having used DHTML Menu I have turned out the following attachment.

The problem is with the code
code: (all one line but divided up for viewability
appendSTMI("false","&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;My&nbsp;Computer","left","middle","","",
"-1","-1","0","normal","transparent","#dfdfdf","","1","-1","-1",
"blank.gif","blank.gif","0","-1","0","","exec(mycomputer.vbs)","_blank","Dungeon",
"9pt","#333333","normal","normal","none",
"Dungeon","9pt","#333333","normal","normal",
"none","1","solid","#ffffff","#ffffff","#666666",
"#666666","#ffffff","#ffffff","#666666","#666666","exec('mycomputer.vbs')","","","tiled","tiled");

I have also tried the bolded sections as just onClick=exec(mycomputer.vbs) and then I get the same "C:\WINDOWS\Web\exec(mycomputer.vbs); return false;" as the location in the addressbar.

I have also tried
<a onClick="exec('mycomputer.vbs')"; return false;" href="javascript:void(0)">
onClick=exec('mycomputer.vbs'); return false;
onClick="exec('mycomputer.vbs'); return false;"

I have also tried giving a relative path to the vbs files as well

and yes I have made sure that all java script have been made into one word.

About to try all of the vbs files and html in the same folder

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back