Active Desktop Tutorial

Originally posted by Geffy
WinKey + L locks it
WinKey + U gives you switchin I think

Yeah:) But I want to add the links to my active desktop anyway - so I need the name of the pregramme that does it if anyone can help.

Rick:its in the tutuorial

ok;here's my desktop so far,almost done(for now)

just one problem-the shortcut to Contol panel wont work - explorer /root,,::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
when i click on it it says {21EC... not found

Originally posted by Mithrandir
I want to have links on my active desktop that allow me to change my backround wallpaper. Now the ideal setup would change the html code of the page, but since that would probably create a whole lot of work, I'll settle for simply changing the page (I'll just make a whole bunch of different pages that are exactly the same but with different background="" values eg. activedesktop1.html, activedesktop2.html ect) that loads.

Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks in advance man. Great tutorial.
I'm still at a loss as to how to pull this off. I've decided that ideally, all I want to know is what I have to link to in order to change the page displayed on my active desktop. Simply linking to another page in the same directory as my current one opens it in a new window. Can I just set a certain target and have it work?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Mithrandir
I'm still at a loss as to how to pull this off. I've decided that ideally, all I want to know is what I have to link to in order to change the page displayed on my active desktop. Simply linking to another page in the same directory as my current one opens it in a new window. Can I just set a certain target and have it work?

Thanks.

might need to use frames; set the target= variable to replace your current page with another similar one "In the same location.". If I'm oversimplifying, forgive me - I'm more webmesser than master.

for the background color - sounds like a job for PHP & a form:
http://www.cfdev.com/code_samples/code.cfm/CodeID/40/PHP/Set_background_color_from_a_drop_down_list

or perhaps reverse engineer some of this:
http://www.eshelps.com/web/business/jazzi3/color.html

....great site, matt - hope to have a desktop of my own thrown together sometime soon.

Mithrandir that name sounds familiar, now what I cant remember is which book it was out off... The Silmarillion?

Originally posted by Geffy
Mithrandir that name sounds familiar, now what I cant remember is which book it was out off... The Silmarillion?
Yes, but it's also mentioned in Lord of the Rings. Another name for Gandalf in both cases.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

sphaugh: I actually want to be able to change my background image, and also change the position of my coolmon stats so that they fit in the right place for the image. I'm working through getting all my coolmon stats to display as html right now, and then I just want to figure out how to set up these links.

Actually, I didn't think of putting the whole thing in one giant frame...I suppose that's probably the simplest solution. Not the prefect solution, but the simplest since we don't know what windows calls the frame that is the active desktop.

Thanks man.

Ok, my current WORK active desktop, running in Win2000 at 1200X1600 - so scaled down for the forum.

Home one is in XP.

Originally posted by theone1
Rick:its in the tutuorial

I cant find it anywhere in the tutorial - the closest I can find is the shutdown/restart box.

re: Mithrandir

to change your background image on the fly, use the following bit of script in the head:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">
function changeImage (pic) {
document.all.body.background = pic;
}
</script>

change your body tag to this:

<body id="body">

and this bit in the body:

<a onclick="changeImage ('1.jpg'); return true;" href="javascript:void (0)">change to pic 1</a>
<a onclick="changeImage ('pics/abc.jpg'); return true;" href="javascript:void (0)">change to pic abc</a>

tada! for background color changes, do a similar thing, but with this in the head:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">
function changeColour (colour) {
document.all.body.bgColor = colour;
}
</script>

keep the body tag the same, and make links like this:

<a onclick="changeColour ('#ff0000'); return true;" href="javascript:void (0)">change to red</a>
<a onclick="changeColour ('#0000ff'); return true;" href="javascript:void (0)">change to blue</a>

and don't forget to take out the spaces the board's inserted between 'java' and 'script' :)

you should also be able to change the position of your coolmon stats on the fly too, haven't tried it yet but i would guess you can put the stats in one big 'div' box with an id of 'stats', then change the positioning using css with 'document.all.stats.style = '. will maybe try this later to see...

Rick; just make a shortcut to %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation ,create a .vbs file for it and put a link to it on your page.

I still havent got Contol Panel working

theone1, for the control panel shortcut I had to go into explorer and drag it to where I wanted it in order to get the shortcut.

Originally posted by blinkyraaa
re: Mithrandir
you should also be able to change the position of your coolmon stats on the fly too, haven't tried it yet but i would guess you can put the stats in one big 'div' box with an id of 'stats', then change the positioning using css with 'document.all.stats.style = '. will maybe try this later to see...
Thank you so much! After some tweaking and the removal of my stupidity, I've gotten the background changing links to work. I can't however get the movement of the stats to work. I've got some background in CSS, but I've only ever really used it for formatting of links text headings ect. I mean, I've used div tags and set their ids to whatever and then used them to put in styles I defined in stylesheets (eg. .whatever{stuff}) but never for this.

I tried this:
<a onclick="changeImage (image.jpg');document.all.stats.style.position='0,0';return true;" href="javascript:void(0)">change to pic 1</a>
in the hopes of getting it to align to the top left corner, but to no avail. Do I need to write another simple function like you did for the background changing?

Thanks again for that background help though...worked like a charm.

EDIT: GRR! It WAS working just fine...I just restarted, and now all the links still change the background, but IE windows are popping up with "page cannot be found" and the URL is "javascript:void(0)". BAH!

for control panel :

in your vbs file, type "control panel" instead of that explorer stuff, works like a charm

I tried creating a function to change the position of my stats (which have a <div id="stats"></div> around them) by adding the following function into my javascript section:
function moveStats (x,y) {
document.all.stats.style.position:absolute;
left: x;
right: y;
}
then adding the call "moveStats(0,0);" in my onClick bits for the links. I think my syntax is slightly off for the javascript part, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is.

I also had to remove all of the href bits from the links to prevent those error windows from popping up. Hopefully someone might know a way I could keep those.

glad it worked out for you, now here's a better version :)
function to change position and picture, replace the image change one with this:

function change (img, t, l) {
document.all.body.background = img;
document.all.stats.style.top = t;
document.all.stats.style.left = l;
}

body tag stays the same:

<body id="body">

stick your stats in a 'div' box like this, change the initial 'top' and 'left' co-ords to match ur starting background picture:

<div id="stats" style="position: absolute; top: 50; left: 75;">stats in here...</div>

finally, change it all by calling the function with the image name, and top and left co-ords for the stats:

<a onclick="change ('abc.jpg', 100, 150);" href="javascript:void (0);">Change it all around!</a>

as far as the css goes, i think you can change any properties using syntax like i've used in the function here, ie where in a css file it's

idname { color: red; }

when using the DOM to access the properties (which is what this is if i'm not mistaken) you would do

document.all.idname.style.color = 'red';

note that you need to quote anything that isn't a number.

oh, and watch out for copy and paste from the board, as mentioned before it inserts spaces between the words 'java' and 'script' in the href links! it should all be one word, javascript, no space. take the spaces out and ur links should work fine. :)

Thanks so much blinky!

The function you wrote works great, and I even managed to add a couple more lines to be able to move my google searching thing and links to change the backgrounds around too. I love it!

The href bit still gives me an error. I did take out the space between java and script the first time, and tried leaving the space between script and (0) and taking that out, but no matter what it gives me an error. I got around it by just taking out the href entirely, and tossing:
<style>
<!--
a {cursor: hand;}
-->
</style>
at the top. It looks the same so it's good enough for me.

The color thing worked fine too as soon as I realized I had to set the starting color using styles and not the font tag I was using.

There's only one thing missing, and that's my coolmon stats themselves. I used a javascript thing posted on the extensions section of the coolmon site to put them in (since I'm not running a webserver and thus don't have access to any more sophisticated way of putting them in) but it stops updating after a while. I'm not sure if it's the way it's coded (ie. will only run some huge number of times, usually enough to be infinite for normal use, but not for a desktop) or if it's something that I do while using my computer that stops it, but every once in a while I have to refresh it to get it going again. Not a big deal, but an annoyance none the less.

The updating code is:
function CoolMon(){
window.setInterval('UpdateReadings()',500);
}
And this is called in the onload of the body tag. I originally had the delay at 1000, but thought I'd try 500 to see if it helped. It didn't. The updatereadings function grabs the info from the xml page that coolmon creates. So I'm really just asking if there's another way to get it to update instead of using that setinterval bit.

Thanks again man! Everything else is pristine!

glad i could help :)

according to the javascript spec, the setInterval method should continue to call the first argument indefinately. can't see any reason why it shouldn't work, i use it on my own desktop to update sections and i've never had a problem. it's possible the issue is with the UpdateReadings function, but i would have thought someone else would have noticed by now. maybe try taking out the 'window' object before the 'setInterval' method, that's how i've got it set up, ie setInterval('UpdateReadings()',500);. i can't think of another way of doing it, sorry.

In the Notepad script, if I use
Code:
<input onClick="setFile('c:\\windows\\quicknotes.txt');" type="submit" value="Save">
instead of
Code:
<a onClick="setFile('c:\\windows\\quicknotes.txt');" href="java script:window.close();">Save</a>
how do I get the window to close?

Can anyone tell me how to make links that aren't underlined?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back