Active Desktop Tutorial

Maddmatt, thanks a lot for the tutorial man. For the last few days my routine was : Go to work and mess around with active desktop. This thing got me hooked and thanks to you, here is my desktop now.(Attachment on botton of page)

I have one question though:
Im having problems with the Notepad. I can't save.
I've read the posts almost twenty times now and i still don't understand.
This is my script:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Active Desktop: Quick Notes</title>
<head>

<script language="VBSCRIPT">
<!--

Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 
Const ForReading = 1, ForWriting = 2, ForAppending = 3 

Sub setFile (filename)      
Set a = fs.CreateTextFile(filename, true) 
a.Write(Document.notes.qnotes.value) 
a.Close
End Sub

Sub loadFile (filename)
'Open file to read
if fs.FileExists(filename) then
Set a = fs. OpenTextFile(filename,ForReadi
ng) 
Document.notes.qnotes.value = a.ReadAll() 
a.Close
else
Document.notes.qnotes.value = "madmatt.fusion_dtop v5"
end if
End Sub
-->
</script>

</head>
<body bgcolor="#D8D8D8" onLoad="loadFile('c:\\qnotes.txt')">

<form name="notes">
                 <textarea name="qnotes" cols="28" rows="7" wrap="PHYSICAL"></textarea>
                 <a onClick="setFile('c:\\qnotes.txt')" href="javascript:window.close()">
                   save
                 </a>
           </form>

</body>
</html>

I remember reading something about creating a shortcut or something similar, i don't get that ! I thought was just paste it into notepad, save a blank Txt file into c:// windows and last, turn on active desktop.
My last question is:
Does active desktop use a lot of system resources ?? Cuz' start up slowed down a little.

Thanks a lot for the tutorial and keep up the great work!!!:D

Posted by Piett
hmm latest MS VirtualMachine....that could be it. can i get that off of the MS site, or do i have to get it from somewhere else?

should be available on the MS website. if you have a hard time finding it, feel free to PM me or IM me on AIM or MSNM (screen names on profile).

now to figure out Leo's problem..

okay. let's give this a go.

Leo
I see that you already removed the semicolon after the onLoad statement and save function. I was going to suggest that first. Did you try using it with the semicolons?

Next, I want you to change the a href from JAVASCRIPT:WINDOW.CLOSE() to JAVASCRIPT:VOID()

After doing so, I want you to load qnotes.html in Internet Explorer, type some text, and click save.

Do you receive any errors (status bar will show a different icon if there are any errors)?

Other things..
did you create a blank qnotes.txt in C:\?

try opening qnotes.txt in Notepad and typing something, save it. refresh qnotes.html, does it show what you typed?

Let me know.

As for #2, using active desktop will cause explorer.exe to use a little more system resources (since active desktop is an arm of explorer.exe). However, it should not slow down your bootup, it may add a few seconds onto your desktop loading since it has to load your content.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. Let me know about the qnotes.

I was not sure if to post this here or in the "November Dtops" but i'll just post here.

Here is the desktop i manèged to do with madmatts tutorial:
] (Click to enlarge) .

Now b4 you get all capitalist on my arse because of the lenin pic , ITS A JOKE (ask mafia or nick) + i didn't have any better image to put there.
Its not final yet, i'll probably do much more changes, but i like it for now :)

Cheers ;)

Oh yeah , i almost forgot, BIG thanks to mdmatt for the excellent tutorial!

Benny..
I think the wall looks good. I like it.
Good use of MADMATT.xperience, I see the changes you made =)
Good choice of colors, just need a vstyle that matches better.

Timuwine, not a problem. Let me know how it works out.

Did you try using it with the semicolons?

Yes, already tried with the semicolons.

Next, I want you to change the a href from java script:WINDOW.CLOSE() to java script:VOID()

When i change that i get an error message.

After doing so, I want you to load qnotes.html in Internet Explorer, type some text, and click save.

I did that i couldn't save. "Page cannot be displayed".
When i load the qnote.HTML in IE, the status bar says error on page.

did you create a blank qnotes.txt in C:\?

I've created in C://WINDOWS

try opening qnotes.txt in Notepad and typing something, save it. refresh qnotes.html, does it show what you typed?

No, it didn't.

It's hopeless isn't it??
I really don't understand what the heck is going on !
Thanks for your patience, Matt.

Posted by LazyJames
where are you running the xperience news and forum stuff from Benny?

Its a part of matts tutorial, you can get it here :http://www.xp-erience.org/articles.php?action=show&id=47#xperience ( its the one called MADMATT.XPERIENCE) .

It comes with an readme file instructing you on what to do , but you need a server to upload it onto (unless you have ISS , but it might work bad in ISS)

Leo..

okay, your QNOTES.TXT file is in C:\WINDOWS?

because the code you pasted in your first post shows that it is trying to load it from C:\QNOTES.TXT?

make sure you have the exact path to the TXT file.
i.e. C:\\WINDOWS\qnotes.txt

double click that "errors on page" and paste me the content of the window.

Benny
he knows. he wants to know if you are running it from a web host or using IIS. he is having problems trying to get it to work with IIS.

LazyJames
let me ask you, can you get any PHP to work with IIS? even something simple such as..

PHP:
<?php
  echo "hello";
?>

Ohh , sorry , well its on a server i have access to ( and i can do pretty much whatever i want there :)) .

but please don't ask me to host your version there because i really can't :(

Matt, i went though your tutorial one more time and made some changes. I've created the qnotes.html in c: (Also changed the path to c://)and when i load the script in IE it asks me " An Active control on this page might be unsafe...." and so on, i click yes and then Norton Anti tell me that it has discovered a maliciuos script, (iexplore.exe) i allow it through and it loads WITHOUT errors but when i try to save this is what i get:

yea, i can host php, matter of fact o have a php calendar and a menu that uses alot of php on my new dTop. Thats why i am quite confused with the .xperience stuff not working, i just cant seem to figure out why it aint.

Leo
remove the space between JAVA and SCRIPT in your A HREF statement. For some odd reason vBulletin adds a space between them.

madmatt, i appreciate all your help on this, hopefully we will get it working for all those peopel that are like me and use IIS, your the man madmatt. just thought i would mention that.

Posted by LazyJames
madmatt, i appreciate all your help on this, hopefully we will get it working for all those peopel that are like me and use IIS, your the man madmatt. just thought i would mention that.

Thanks LJ, appreciate your kind words. I'll keep digging for a resolution for you..

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks a lot Matt !!!!!!
It works like a charn now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind if i ask u one last question?

This is about the calendar... Is there any way to change the default white background to another color???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back