Active Desktop Tutorial

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Welcome to the official active desktop help thread.
Please keep all posts related in one way or another.
Questions will be answered by our team of experts.

The tutorial is located here.

Feel free to post screen shots of what you have come up in this thread (use the attach feature or link them to your own website).

Enjoy.

[edit]
As of September 13, 2003, all materials for the tutorial and NTFS.desktop have been moved from one server (innovations.*) to another (usm). If you come across any broken links, please send me an ISM and I will fix them. Thank you.
[/edit]

THANK YOU MATT! i'm on it right now...gonna make the changes 2morrow, and i'll post a screenshot when im done.....some really sweet stuff there man....

Matt..this is a great effort, and a great service...congratulations on a terrific concept and job.

brewskies for the house...I'm buying;

Very cool ... something for the Thanksgiving weekend when I'm alone at home. :)

For some odd reason, I'm reading all the steps, but I cant get a link to Winamp3 (Studio.exe) working....and matt, how did you get the expandable menus, backround, etc on there?

hey mupp, this is just a start.....the basic stuff you know..the rest will follow later i'm sure!

Firstly, let me thank everyone so far *drinks his beer from dealer*

Secondly, mupp. I knew that question would come along sooner or later. My menus are DHTML and I have no plans (yet) to release the code; I have to stay on top some how. As for everything else, I used style sheets for font, links, etc.

Thirdly, functions that are not available via the tutorial (such as the menus, msnm, etc.) may be released some time in the future.

Lastly, my next project is an xp-erience desktop block that shows the news and forum posts. Then I have to finish up my website. After I may write version 3.

This is my game, I created it, I will always be on top. *evil laugh* =]

Yeah, I guess so - Can you apply regular html code to activedesktop.html, like <BODY BGCOLOR="bleh.jpg"> ?

im not to sure if you are always gonna be on top....i'm still a young guy i'm quite ambitious:p....i'm gonna use these tutorials of yours to learn about html and stuff.....and maybe one day in the far future i will surpass you in knowledge.....oh god help me i'm being too poetic...lol probably had too much beer or something....

Very nice Matt! :) I have implemented your tutorial into my desktop. Here is where I sit as of now. I plan to add more as I go along. Click the image below for a full size version. *56k warning*

I have to figure out why my fonts get all screwy when I do a print screen. It does it every time. *shrug*

Thanks for a great tutorial Matt. :)

that's because you are probably using low quality jpeg....set the quality higher or use gif!

very good start xsiv. I forgot to add a Google search into the tutorial. ah well, another day. I'm on break.

mupp, yes.
<BODY BACKGROUND="image.jpg">

madmatt: I am implementing your active desktop functions into my desktop... it's time for a change. :) I need to ask, I have attempted to modify links to launch files and folders and have been unsuccessful. Can you tell me, does the launch link work for executibles or any type of file (ie. to launch a .doc)? If not, can you explain how to do this?

Cool Tutorial loads of fun. I m trying to get the calender to work however it wont show up. I am getting a popup that says line 1 char 1 syntax error when i try to open the file on its own, what should i do to fix this?

bruce - what you'll need to do is create a shortcut to it.. and make it execute from the shortcut... using the "Program Launch" section of madmatts desktop tutorial...

MdSalih

I wouldn't say you'll stay on top Matt :) If you are really really interesting in doing some neat things like Matt does, take research HTML and DHTML. It's not all that complicated and is pretty simple once you start messing around with it. Overall, very nice tutorial Matt. I might put some DHTML in to use, but I've never really cared for it. I prefer simple links rather than menus :)

the bottom is fun, too. (yes, pun intented)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back