Activating Windows questions

aphexking

Richard
Hi,

I was wondering why you have to activate Windows xp Pro?

What happens after the 30 days if you still have not activated xp?

Why would you not be able to take computer back cause it has been activated?

The reason I ask is cause i brought a laptop and it had pixels missing so i took it back and cause I activated windows they would not do a straight swap. They have to change hard drives over or something. One big headace. :mad:

Cheers

Richard

Look forward in reading any replies.

:)

Windows XP Pro doesnt need activation?
I knew Home did, but I use Pro on 4 machines and never had to activate or anything :s

After 30 days and not activating windows would boot but not let you use it until activation has been completed.

They probably wouldn't take it back as each computer sold has got a unique serial number for windows and the one on the computer you took back would be registered to you with microsoft.

Cheers for responding so quicK

AFTER PAYING 1000 UK POUNDS THEY ARE TAKING IT BACK, I HAVE MADE SURE OF THAT.

They have to swap my hard drive witrh the activated windows and put it in new laptop.

Why cant they just contact microsoft and say unactivat it?

I dont know, i have run of bad luck

Cheers for ya help

Unleashed said:
I knew Home did, but I use Pro on 4 machines and never had to activate or anything :s
~wondering if this person is using a pirate copy or OEM copy of the corp version of Pro.~

ming said:
~wondering if this person is using a pirate copy or OEM copy of the corp version of Pro.~
yup probably the devils own copy tisk tisk

My version of pro doesn't seen activation, but standard retail copies do.
I am using a VL version from the office :D

:)

I only know or corp and OEM versions that does not require activation.

I have some XP discs which are "auto-activated" one came with my laptop, and the other for my parents new machine, I am guessing they have some extra file on them which does the activation.

If the shop takes your laptop back and trys to sell it again if they get the screen fixed, the new buyer will see that it has already been registered and activated and will know that it isn't a factory fresh, never been used before computer.

Unleashed said:
Windows XP Pro doesn't need activating? Is that the Pro upgrade or full?

I have had to activate XP Pro upgrade twice since !

Lee said:
Windows XP Pro doesn't need activating? Is that the Pro upgrade or full?

I have had to activate XP Pro upgrade twice since !
He's using the corp version of Windows XP Pro. The Corp version does not require activation.

I always seem to piss off the activation system, whether its swapping in a new motherboard or just trying to reinstall windows. :D

The annoying part is, online activation NEVER works for me; I have to phone Microsoft and talk to their mechanical answering service for about 10 minutes before it rejects my key and puts me through to one of their techs. At which time I have to say at least twice that this is a legit copy of Windows XP Pro and I only have it installed on one computer. At the end of which I say 'talk to you in a few months until my next install'.

100% legit Windows XP Pro (student edition)

chaos945 said:
... At the end of which I say 'talk to you in a few months until my next install'.

LOL :p
"Yep, nice to hear from you. Hope to hear from you again in two months time."

hehe. :D

chaos945 said:
I always seem to piss off the activation system, whether its swapping in a new motherboard or just trying to reinstall windows. :D

The annoying part is, online activation NEVER works for me; I have to phone Microsoft and talk to their mechanical answering service for about 10 minutes before it rejects my key and puts me through to one of their techs. At which time I have to say at least twice that this is a legit copy of Windows XP Pro and I only have it installed on one computer. At the end of which I say 'talk to you in a few months until my next install'.

Yeah same thing for my Mum. She has Teachers/Parents/Students edition of XP office, first time she installed, activated o.k. She had to format few months later, kept saying activated on another machine. No hardware had changed or operating system. She spent 30 minutes giving them details, like where she bought it, the serial on box, where it was produced, box colour, recipt number, website address, she was not pleased.

Lee said:
- spent 30 minutes giving them details -
I'd freak out on them if they did that to me, not a chance in hell. Actually, I'd probably just switch to the corp. edition if they really cheesed me off.

My cousin actually bought Windows XP Home and the disk was faulty, it wouldn't load at all, so he phoned MS and they sent him a new disk and key within 2 weeks, that is not too shabby on M$ part besides the faulty disk...they deactivated the faulty disk key unfortunately. :)

Well, I've joined the hate activation team.

I remember something in the forums about a file in one of the system directories that holds your valid activation key. All you had to do after a reinstall was replace it if you kept the same config. Am I remembering this correctly? If so where and what was that file. Running Win XP Pro.

I have the "pre-DVD Burner" install on my backup HD. If it works I guess I'll start keeping a set of those files for each config.

The ugly story:
Got a BSOD after trying too many different programs for my new DVD burner and the BSOD told me to pull out the new hardware and then clean out the drivers. So I did and first reboot it comes up telling me to reactivate. I do and it says rejected because I have done too many activations???? Looks like ~5 is the limit. 10 minutes dicking with the voice system, 20 minutes on hold, I finally went to bed at midnight, too pissed off to sleep.

Next day same routine but got a human (sorta) within 20 minutes. Then they I got a BSOD on reboot with new activation. They tried to send me to tech support and I went postal. They deny all knowledge of being able to reset a key that has max'd out. Why not? If owner proves ownership. Spent 15 minutes going round and round with the guy. In the process I mentioned that any 10 year old who could spell google could get a cracked copy off the web and that from now on I would. I also pointed out that they have been hit with 1.2 billion in fines for unfare business practices. They transferered me to "escalate", i.e. manager, after first denying there was a higher authority. 20 minutes on hold and they hung up on me.

Time for another letter writing campaign to the department of justice.

What really hcked me off is I did not change the config. Windows just decided I did. I went back to the exact same hardware as before the BSOD and I was still locked out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back