ACPI problem

R

razkal

I have big problem with my pc (xp pro).
It reboots at random times with no error messages. Most of the times it reboots continuously (10 -15 times!!) before the completion of the startup. I checked the event viewer and it appears to be the same acpi error all the times.

'AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.'

I tried to flash my bios (mb: chaintech 7vjd2) but when I used the award utility, with the bios file in a floppy, it couldn't work. (error: 'source file not found.')
What's going to happen if i disable the acpi option?
Any other ideas or suggestions?
thanx in advance.

First let's see if we can stop the rebooting (though if it's hardware related this may or may not work):

System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings and UNcheck Automatically Restart.

see this link: http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4500/rh4563.htm

Also, I saw this posted on another site in response to the same problem:

Just change the BIOS settings to 'load safe defaults' or a similar expression, save and exit.If the thing now becomes stable you can start tweaking some settings to get better performance without the I/O errors, for tips on perfomance issues go to www.wimsbios.com

I have unchecked it!!
Where can i find a diagnostic for the ram?
what about the problem with the bios flashing?

if you disable acpi, you will have to reinstall XP. Also things like standby and hibernate wont work (I think)

Disregard my comment on ram - further investigation on my part revealed it's your bios. See the above post again - I edited it. BTW, turning of ACPI could cause more problems.

It may help u a bit more.
graphics: creative geforce2 :(
sound: creative pci128:mad:

razkal - reread my original reply above. I've edited it and it should help.

update :(
I flashed my bios. the pc is slower,some 'dumb memory' errors, i set dumb memory to 0, it worked fine till i started listening music. After 3 mins. the pc was rebooting for almost 20 times!!In the first 3 reboots in the first screen i had 'cmos checksum error', i pressed F1 and it continued the startup task (with no luck!)
When it finally started normally (after 30 mins.), I checked the event viewer and I had the below system error (twice).

'Error code 00000050, parameter1 f05c371c, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 804f8db2, parameter4 00000000.'

Have i got to load fail-safe defaults,as allan wrote, or there is another solution?
what's going to happen if i load the fail-safe defaults?
thanx for your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back