ACPI BIOS Problem?? HELP!

A

akfallin83

Everytime I start up my computer and at certain points while using the computer (haven't identified any one thing that triggers it during usage)... my computer hangs. I do notice it mostly with explorer. Any ideas how to stop this from happening?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ACPI
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 1/26/2002
Time: 3:42:00 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JORDAN
Description:
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 05 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Has this always happened, or did you do something recently like enabling ACPI in bios or flashing your bios?

It has not always happened, it just started in the past few days, this computer has been running fine for about 2 weeks now. I also have not made any changes to the BIOS nor have I flashed it.

Absolutly nothing, thats the weird thing, this just sort of started happening for no reason. I hadnt even installed any new programs or updates or anything that would have caused this to start.

That's really wierd. Look in your event viewer logs and see if there's a conflict with another driver or something. Check in the device manager and make sure everything is kosher there.

If these things don't turn up any clues, I guess I have to suggest updating your bios.

Have you had any recent power failures or anything along those lines recently? I'm thinking that something in your bios somehow got reset. The problem is you have a couple of devices trying to use the same memory block... are you getting any specific 0x0..... bsod error codes?

Also, do a full virus scan on your system... just to make sure. Doubtful, but better safe then sorry.

Well my room mate just told me something. The day this started happening he disconnected an older drive of mine that was failing. The entire IDE cable is disconnected from the Motherboard for that drive, but the rest of the setup is the same. I just got done reinstalling windows. Same problem. Im going to try booting up outside of Safe Mode and then posting my system info. This is sooooooooooooooooo annoying.

Here is a file from the device manager that shows a summary of my computer hardware.

I get this error too. But it does not cause me any problems, so i don't bother with it.

In other forums, it's a harmless error for most people...

Hmmm
did you change your swap file settings?
I ask this because if it now is trying to use a drive it cant read, for your swap file, it will cause problems.

Worth checking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back