Access to Folder 3000miles away

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am currently running an FTP server, mainly for my direct family. They use the FTP for their own file backup, because they do not have much in the way of storage on their own machines. But when it comes time to move files and Folders around in the FTPserver, it is an extremely tedious and extremely slow process through an ftp client. Is there software or any other way that they can open the folders and files in explorer and manipulate them, even a tad bit faster than an ftpclient 3000miles away? Maybe through their browser or so.

Heeter

You can ftp in explorer [if thats what your asking]

Just type in the ftp address and wham bam thank you mam

Of course the speed of it all depends on connections and what file sizes...if you are all on dial up then the proccess of moving files around would be pretty sluggish

It wouldn't be so much as Uploading/Downloading files, it is more for just creating new folders and moving files around within the server. But I didn't know about the address bar in explorer. That's pretty cool. Thanks, maybe that will be better.

Heeter

Hi Guys,

I tried that address bar in explorer. It works. But I did notice that I cannot move files around between the folders. Is it a settings thing or is it something just can't be done?

Heeter

Originally posted by Alan
Just type in the ftp address and wham bam thank you mam

laugh.gif

Originally posted by Heeter
Hi Guys,

I tried that address bar in explorer. It works. But I did notice that I cannot move files around between the folders. Is it a settings thing or is it something just can't be done?

Heeter

If I'm right , as you click on each folder they open up in a new window, then you just drag and drop files to whatever folder you want to

HTH
Alan

Hi Alan,

They all actually open up within the same window. There might be some software that could perform this function in the explorer? May it be a disabled service or a setting in my tower that's keeping people from using the explorer?

Heeter

Maybe is there some software that I can use that can do this?

Heeter

Have you tried right clicking and selecting "Open in new window" ?

There is something out there that forces open all links in new windows.......not to sure if you would need it though just for this....as I say try the right click

HTH
Alan

I am going to try to avoid getting my parents to install software for doing this. But I tried to get it to drag and drop from one file to the next within the open window, it won't go. I can put files into the FTP window from somewhere else and it works, as well as delete works too. Just not able to move files around within the FTP window.

I guess if they can't re-organize files in my FTP from their computer through explorer, then software might be the next step. I heard PCAnywhere can do what they want, but the price on that is really crazy for what we are trying to acheive.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back