Access and Backup Files

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I was thinking of setting a small file server (50-100 gigs) to have my brother and certain friends, upload and download important files.

Would FTP or an HTTP file server be the most secure way for someone to have access only to their share?

Or if there is another solution that would work for this.

I'm not running crazy server software, just literally Vista Business. There will not be a lot of activity for this service so it won't be sucking my bandwidth or using a lot of resources.

Thanks guys.

I had a rough time getting FTP server software that worked on Vista, ended up going with Bulletproof FTP and it worked great. You can create individual user accounts and give them access to their own directories and set them as home dirs.

that is awesome, I will give it a shot and test it. I might be able to get a few people to use it Thanks!

As for FTP Servers; I always been partial to Serv-U FTP Server....

I am going to be setting up a file server here soon and will be deciding on the OS to use for it. So this info will come in handy for me.

Thanks guys, I'm going to start testing a few one at a time and see which one best fits my needs. PLease keep the suggestions coming.

How secure are all of these?

they are as secure as you make them :)

That is my concern, how do I make them more secure without blocking people that don't have knowledge of more advanced methods? Forwarding ports in my router?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back