? about SP1 & ram

LazyJames

OSNN Addict
since i installed SP1 i have occasionally seen an error saying windows could not write to a particular memory location. The location has been different each time, and the error did not occur until i installed SP1. Nothing else on my system has changed. could it be a flaw in SP1 that is causing this or any other ideas??

The flaw is somewhere in your system. What that is though is another question. :(

That was why i was asking bout SP1 because well two reasons/
1. This never happened before SP1
2. One of my friends also has seen the error once or twice and his system is very different from mine.

Similar error

I have gotten a similar error since I installed XP SP1. I get an error message that displays something to the effect:

Error Reading from memory address 0x5.... ( something like that)

I have experienced it with many different programs.
But It never happened before I installed SP1.

I've got a solution :
Don't ever install OS updates from Microsoft !!!

XP was running so well for over a year that I couldn't believe it. Then I went and installed some security updates, thinking they actually served some purpose. -XP started bugging down, blue screening, and doing all the things that had made me leave w98 in the first place.

Solution : re-format, and no updates, especially not something as big as SP1.

(And, as I wrote in another thread before, now I even suspect w98 is actually a fantastic, super stable OS if you don't apply the patches.)

Thats a really good idea, and would probably fix my problems. "When all else fails format and try again.":D

mine works just as good when it wasn't patched as it does now, you guys prolly have some dinosour piece of hardware in your pc's that xp doesn't agree with and thats where your problems are coming from.

Originally posted by Krux
mine works just as good when it wasn't patched as it does now, you guys prolly have some dinosour piece of hardware in your pc's that xp doesn't agree with and thats where your problems are coming from.
Easy to say,
Read the various reports about bugs coming from those patches : they appear more frequent than else.
Also, their actual worth is questionned by many. -At least, if you use a decent firewall. (And if you're not likely to become some hacker's target of choice...)

And as far as using «dinosaur hardware», does 2 year old count ?
I guess it does in this technological age, but who's got the passion, or the cash, to keep up with such a pace ?
-2 yr old's what I got, and XP works fine with it. Works very well, as a matter of fact. (That is, if I don't update it !!!)

In the end, I say not updating remains the wisest position. Even if there's a chance it'll work. (For example, because your system is so powerful that it could run itself if you simply inserted a mouse brain onto the motherboard.)

Well i dont think it is the old hardware, because the oldest piece of hardware in my pc is the video card and it is a Geforce3TI 500. So i dont think its that. i think its just SP1 being microsofts newest B*atch. ;)

error.gif

This is the exact error that I get. I only started getting the error after I installed SP1

That is almost exactly what mine looks like, except different numbers each time and different programs as well

does that for me to

i think i might know wats doing it, might seem a little silly but sometimes when im using custom/downloaded fonts in psp7 i get that error, but never with standard windows fonts. i just thought it was because the custom fonts didnt like being minipulated by psp7 or sumthin:confused:
doesnt anoy me though and only ever happens in psp7 when trying to make text with custum fonts, never any other time.

i think psp is one of the few programs that i have not gotten the error with, it has even popped up once when i was not doing anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back