Abit KGR-7

albybum

Penguin Rancher
Well, here is my problem. I just bought a barebones kit with the Abit KG-7 Raid mobo and an AMD XP 1900+ cpu. It has a 300 watt PS. I get rather frequent system freezes. Not the Windows 98 kinda freezes, I get system freezes. nothing responds, not even the power button on the front of the case. I have tried multiple installations of Windows 98Se and Windows XP on different HD's. I have updated the bios to the most recent version. I have researched and found that a lot of ppl are having the same problem, but none of their fixes seem to help me. I am thinking that it could be the power supply, but could the power supply cause such a freeze?

ABIT KG-7 R (newest bios revision)
AMD XP 1900+
256 MB DDR (2100)
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX 400
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet
Ensoniq AWE 64 pci
Maxtor 40 gb 7200 rpm HD
Segate 17 GB 5400 rpm HD
Toshiba DVD ROM
Philips 12x8x40x CDRW

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It could possibly be "dirty power". The power source (wall outlet) could be fluctuating. Do you have a battery backup? If not, can you plug in to a different source?

what are your temps?,if your running to hot it will freeze you up

Originally posted by duder
what are your temps?,if your running to hot it will freeze you up
When mine overheated, it just shut down. But, check the temp anyway, that could be it.

Well, I think its running at a rather good temp. it runs at about 100 F. I even left the casing off and put a industrial strength metal fan blowing across it. Strangely enough, when I started increasing the I/O voltage and the DDR Ram voltage, the computer freezes less, but It has been doing other weird things, like restarting out of nowhere.

from your specs, looks like your system is power hungry.

Reference

Just for reference the post by LazyJames was me. I was writing from a friend's house because my computer is not happy :(

I do not think this is a cooling problem. Strangely enough, when I started increasing the I/O voltage and the DDR Ram voltage, the computer freezes less, but It has been doing other weird things, like restarting out of nowhere.

I have increased the DDR Ram voltage once again to gain stability (its at 2.8 volts now) and it seems to be free of locking up, but if I leave the computer unplugged for a while - when I do try to start the computer up, I get POST beeps. 1 beep then about a 1 or 2 second pause and then another beep. that sequence will repeat indefinitely.
If I turn off the power at the Power supply and turn it back on when it is doing the post beeps, it starts up fine.

Since I just have a 300 watt PS, do you think its sucking too much electricity? I honestly have no clue and any help would be greatly appreciated.

For an amd xp cpu you need at least a 350 watt power supply.

actually the AXP takes less power then the thunderbird... i have 300w and its plenty..im still getting a 525w (lol) for my water cooling,neons, and my possible peltier heheh

i read somewhere about that problem im not sure where but i suggest you take a look at www.icronticforums.com and www.ambmb.com section ABIT. thats sould help you more then here...
XP forums vs truly hardware forums no offense guys hey =)

RE: dArK_CyAnIdE

RE: dArK_CyAnIdE

From the link that you posted: "Typical signs of SDRAM instability include failure to pass the Power On Self Test (POST) when booting, frequent error messages from Windows describing Page Faults or other system errors and random freezes of the machine requiring a hard reboot."

Those are the exact things that are happening to my computer, and they seemed to slack off when I increased the voltage of the RAM. Now that I know what the problem is, I should be able to fix it. Thanks a million. This was driving me crazy!

hhehe right on the money =) ur quite welcome my freind .. btw nice mobo heheh i have the non raid version =)

if any of you want a guide on the kg7 PM me i have an excellent one

well i found the website so it`ll be easier for you ppl to get it its from icrontic (good forum btw) written by MrIcee (those guys are pretty crazy) OPpainter is also one of Macci competitor at Madonion.. so they know what there talking about.
heres the link: http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=14563

contains all the settings ull need for a high front side bus, those are for fsb of 150 and over i use a 145 fsb since my cpu ius locked and i use:
Advanced chipset settings
I'll just list the settings top to bottom without the setting names, choose chipset driving control and press enter...then enter these:

Control cpu : manual
7 (fastest)
manual
D8
slow
slow
FF
Fast
Fast
Manual
Manual
Manual

Press escape, now in this window, starting with AGP secondary lat timer, the settings are as follows :

Secondary Lat Timer : 20h
Fast Writes : enabled
4X
Enabled
Disabled
Enabled
Manual
3 (for stability no speed lose either)

Control cpu : manual
7 (fastest)
manual
D8
fast
fast
FF
Faster
Faster
Manual
Manual
Manual

and thats pretty much it. very stable and fast :D enjoy !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back