Aah! Partitions! Aah!

M

ModestCargo

Okay, here's my problem. I had 3 partitions of my 20 GB hard drive. Two were 5 GB each C: & D:, and one was 10 GB E:. The first two are system files and documents C: and program files D:, and the last one is my music E:. Now, I reformat my hard drive about once every two months or so. What I mean by reformat is I erase the first two and reinstall Windows and programs, and I leave E: to back up my documents & music. I do all this with the partition manager on the XP CD. Then I decided it was time to combine C: and D: because I was running out of space on D: and had lots on C:. So I erased both and repartitioned both again (because the XP manager won't let me combine them without erasing E: first for some annoying reason. Then I went into the command prompt and used diskpart to erase D: so there was only free space there and then extend the C: drive so that it would be 10 GB. The problem is that now it says I have C: which is 10 GB, D: which is 10 GB, and 5 GB of free space. So now the total in disk manager says 25 GB which I know is not correct.

-> Takes A Deep Breath <-

And then I installed PartitionMagic 8, which doesn't work. I get "Error 117: Partition's drive letter could not be identified". And I'm not trying to back up 10 GB worth of mp3's onto cds. Not gonna happen. I don't have that kind of time on my hands.

My computer has just decided to ruin my life. Oh joy.

Just 2 points.
Partition Magic is the best partitioning software out there. I have found that if you try and use PM8 then fdisk (or vice versa) then you will have problems. Stick to one or the other and all's sweet.

Secondly I must have many, many gigabytes of MP3s and movies downloaded, and they are ALL on CD!! if my bl**dy harddrive goes down,......well dah!!

TOK

For Gothic...

I use Partition Magic 7 and it has saved and helped me many times. The question is, a value in getting PM8?

By the way, noticed your birthday post. I am a young pup who will be 53 on January 5.

Originally posted by Bob S
For Gothic...

I use Partition Magic 7 and it has saved and helped me many times. The question is, a value in getting PM8?

By the way, noticed your birthday post. I am a young pup who will be 53 on January 5.

A mere child then!!
I invested in PM8 mainly for it's new support for the new partitions under linux, with NTFS and Fat32 I think there's little change, the rest is up to you!!

TOK

What does Disk Management say about your drive?

Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage / Disk Management, if you don't know where it is.

This is really the only utility I use to deal with my hard drives.

Melon

Originally posted by melon
What does Disk Management say about your drive?

Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage / Disk Management, if you don't know where it is.

This is really the only utility I use to deal with my hard drives.

Melon

You mean to say you depend on something M$ has provided.........................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry to be off topic. This reminds me of the "good ol' days". gothic and melon posting on the same day. Good to see you guys around more. :cool:

As I said in my first post, disk management (I called it disk manager) said that I had C: = 10 GB, D: = 5 GB, E: = 10 GB and 5 GB free space.

I already fixed my prob though. I just booted from the XP CD, deleted partition C: which reported as 10 GB, and then the free space reported as 5 GB, which I repartitioned as C:. Then I installed XP on C:, installed PM8 and merged the two partitions C: and D: so now it reports C: = 10 GB and D: = 10 GB. Changed the drive letter of E: to C:. I think I will buy PM8 now, it seems to be a good utility. Works like a charm. (I downloaded it from IRC initially. I do that for most software before I buy to see if it is good enough to spend the money on.)

Man, just cause I'm young doesn't mean I'm dumb. :p

Now I can get on to installing Red Hat 8. Looks pretty sweet.
I had PM7 from my dad's office previously but I decided to try PM8 for support for the penguin.
And if it were my MP3s i would use RWs but they're my dad's and he doesn't want to mess with CDs.

Damn it! I wanted to install Red Hat Linux but when I went into PartitionMagic and clicked "Install Another OS" and rebooted it gives me "Error (Number), Directory flag set for non-directory, file (Number)" I didn't write the error down but I will give the exact details later if needed. Is it just me or is my computer kind of friggy?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back