Aaaarrrrgh ! (XP bugs)

R

Ramanuman

I don't know what's happening, but my xp has started bugging on me in an incredibly annoying way lately.
I've been using this installation (through a ghost image) for the last 2 years and it was always fine. I've ghosted it back again only a few months ago. But this time something went wrong.

Here are the symptoms :
1- Files and folders keep setting themselves to "read only", which keeps me from modifying them until I next reboot.
A typical example of this : I move files in and out a folder. Then I want to rename that folder, but get a message saying I can't and that it might be protected. I look at the properties and see it's "read only". If I untick that, it changes back by itself.
Same goes on with files, except the error message says someone else or another application might be using it, when that's not the case.
And even if I wait several hours and not touch the pc, I still can't change them.

2- The 'view' setting in Windows Explorer keeps changing back to "thumbnails", even though I set it at "details, and choose "apply to all folders" in the folder options.
That only happens in some folders.

It's driving me nuts ! :mad:

I'm prolly going to be re-installing soon. But I wanted to wait until I could buy a new sound card. So I'm asking if any of you has a solution to offer in the meanwhile. I'd appreciate very much.
Thanks.

Not sure about #1, but #2 was bugging me for a while too. I ended up deleting the thumbs.db file in the affected folder from a command prompt, and everything went back to normal after that.
Give it a shot...see if that helps. :)

Thread moved to Operating Systems

Thanks Net. I can try that, but it's different folders that do that each time. :confused:

Hey.. Had the same problems before :p

#1: In explorer, open C: select all hit properties->Security->Check full access for all accounts listed. Apply.
#2: Get a folder set up the way you want it. Hit Folder options->View->Uncheck cache thumbnails and finally the button at the top to apply to all folders.

Hope it helps :)

I have the same sort of problem, but I cant find this option anywhere. I dont have any "security" thingy in the options.
#2: Get a folder set up the way you want it. Hit Folder options->View->Uncheck cache thumbnails and finally the button at the top to apply to all folders.

Me neither : I can't follow the paths you give, Lojow... :confused:

Hrm.... You are running NTFS, aren't you?
(EDIT)
My bad... You can only do folders at once, and then files at once...
Someone remind me to actually try what I say before I say it next time :p

Sorry if I'm being daft, but I still can't find a "security" in the properties for any folder, nor anywhere else for that matter...

Not sure if it is related to your problem, but to get the Security tab in XP Pro you'll have to disable "simple file sharing" (folder options - view), in XP Home you'll have to boot into safe mode to an administrator account.

Originally posted by lojow
Hey.. Had the same problems before :p

#1: In explorer, open C: select all hit properties->Security->Check full access for all accounts listed. Apply.

Hope it helps :)
Ok.
So you mean, in the security tab, I go through all the accounts one by one and check all the "allow" boxes ?

I did this by hitting properties directly on C, btw.
And only the "CREATOR OWNER" account won't change to allow all.

Hope I did what you meant.
I'll be checking for changes.

(In any case, I might just re-install everything sooner than I thought, since I think I've found my next sound card : A M-Audio Revolution 7.1. :) )

Hope it works for you....
I was having annoying problems with transfering files between my networked computers... Permission to open them denied and whatnot :p

It makes me wonder sometimes about the security initiative M$ is working on... Hackers can still get in, but the common person is left scratching their head... LOL

Originally posted by dreamliner77
Great choice on a new sound card.
Isn't it :)

I was going for an Audigy2 at first.
This is not my main puter for music, but I do record with it, and I transfer music from tapes and vinyl records often enough.
So when I saw how affordable those M-Audio are, I quickly forgot about SoundBlaster, their crappy converters and crappy customer service.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back