A whole new(worse) problem......

C

Caligo

Ok, I thought the halt screen was bad. I read that the 0x0000007E stop could be caused by a bad stick of RAM. Took the two oldest sticks out. When I tried to turn the computer back on, only one of the fans not connected to the motherboard spun slowly for a second and then everything stopped. I was thinking bad power supply so I swapped that out. I push the power button and get nothing. Two bad power supplies? Nope, both of them work perfectly in a different machine. Any ideas?? Please tell me I didn't just fry my computer... Thanks.

GC

u check all your connections real good? might have knocked a wire loose or something? :confused:

I had this exact same problem but it wasn't the ram that was the culprit... I crushed my athlon's core so nothing started.

It'd spin up the fans and then just power off.

Let's hope u didn't crush ur cpu core ;)

Well, I tried everything I can think of to do. Got nowhere. I think I cooked the mother board. Don't know how, but that's what everything seems to point to. I hadn't planned on updating my system until August or so but I don't have much of a choice now. Went ahead and ordered a P4-2.26 with the 533 bus, an ASUS P4T533-C, and a few sticks of PC1066 RDRAM. Been a while since I updated. I built my old system(now a boat anchor) 2 years ago. I would have been happy with it for another 3-4 months.

QUESTION: Is there any reason why I shouldn't try to boot the hard drive as is in the new machine? I do plan on formatting and reinstalling XP immediately but there are a handful of files I'd like to burn to a CD first. I'd be losing a lot of work if I didn't get at least a few of my projects off the drive. Thanks!

GC

I did that once in WinME... I upgraded my cpu, RAM, Video Card and Motherboard. It booted up in 640x480x16 and started on a long and painfull process of discovering new hardware. 45 minutes and 10 reboots later I was ready to go.

A less radical method is to use an empty HD, install XP on it, and then hook up your old HD as slave and copy the files....

Greetz

Lukas

Bah... u went with Hamster Inside =/

The Athlon's are just far superior chips. u stick a athlon with win2k and u got all ur office performance u want.

for 3d creation an athlon still beats a pentium.

RDRAM is far too expensive to buy large amounts of it. At least DDR is reasonably priced.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back