A Specail Thread Just For Speed

Z

ZipTriX

Here ya go Speed...merry christmas...my gift to you.... a thread free for the hijacking! :p

Originally posted by Speed4Ever
LOL :D

Gee, thanks...I think...:D

have to pick on you.....by the way you ever mess with norton ghosts or drive image?

I have both but don't know how to work them :(

I know it should be self explanatory, but it's not.

Drive Image gave me some error when I opened with Image explorer. I have no idea about ghost. i'm sick of reformatting and reinstalling

Which version of the apps do you have. Are they the XP compatible versions?

I didnt know Drive Image was compatible with XP, but I could be working on old news here.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ghost/ghost_2002_info_tutorial.html

Try here, as I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, and this could probably give you a better idea of what to do than I could, and take less time.

I havent ran Disk Image since the days of Win98 :D , so I'm not going to go there.

Got any question that the site cant answer, post abck, and I'll do what I can.

Later.
ok i'll read it then get back to you....ohhhhhh one more thing....i'm thinking of going raid.......should I go with raid 1 (stripping) or stay with ata100? only have 2 40 gigs. and should they both be on the same ide cable or being on seperate cables ok?

Originally posted by ZipTriX

ok i'll read it then get back to you....ohhhhhh one more thing....i'm thinking of going raid.......should I go with raid 1 (stripping) or stay with ata100? only have 2 40 gigs. and should they both be on the same ide cable or being on seperate cables ok?

Well, to answer your question, I'd need to know what your wanting to achieve. For striping, this may achieve a speed boost, but it isnt fault-tolerant, and information on both disks is ruined if theres a serious error, or if the one of the drives fail. I'm not sure if you can stripe with a System volume on one of the disks. You would normally stripe if you have 3 or more disks. IMO, unless you have specific reasons, I would stay away from RAID-1.

I have 2 40 gig drives that I use with a Promise ATA 100 PCI IDE controller, Non-RAID, and that seems to work for me just fine.

I would *Definitely Not* put both HDs on the same cable. Same goes for sharing one of them with a CD-ROM. I would grab a PCI IDE controller for that.

When two devices share the same cable, they both cannot be accessed at the same time, creating a significant performance problem.

Hope this helps.

ok thanks...I'll stick with hightpoint ata100 until I get my server :D I habe both HDs and both cdroms on seperate cables

Cool, thats what I recommend.

BTW, what Highpoint do you have? Just curious, it might help me in another thread.

DOH!

What I meant to say is, is it a PCI IDE controller, or integrated into the MB?

Thise tutorials on ghost are not exactly clear, or at least not to me, would be interested aswell to find out what the score with it is....

:p

What are you having a question on?

I've only used ghost a couple of times, so I'm not exactly an authority on the matter, but will do what I can.

Cool, thats what I recommend.

BTW, what Highpoint do you have? Just curious, it might help me in another thread.
2.0.1203...the driver version has to match the hpt bios version.

i have the abit kt7a-raid motheboard......all raid and ide controllers are intergrated...thanks for hte tutorial it helps me :)

Just never really worked out exactly what to do, when i get home the night i'll have another look and see what happens, will message here if i have probs, cheers for the offer though!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back