A Specail Thread Just For Speed

Ok Speed....you're not doing a good job at hijacking this post. :p

Gotta sleep sometime...

I was up til 4:30 AM this morning for some god-forsaken reason...:D

Originally posted by Speed4Ever
Gotta sleep sometime...

I was up til 4:30 AM this morning for some god-forsaken reason...:D
so was I :p

Norton Ghost works with Windows XP! Actually it works under PC DOS.

You have to make a boot disk by running Ghost Boot Wizard.exe, the file should be in the install directory. I haven't had much luck either at work or home getting the network version to work. The boot disk is NORTON Ghost

One note: you can only copy images to a partition on the same drive. However once created you can copy them to another drive if necessary.

To create or restore an image boot from the boot disk made above and the menu choices will be obvious.

Happy Holidays

Originally posted by cychem
Norton Ghost works with Windows XP! Actually it works under PC DOS.

You have to make a boot disk by running Ghost Boot Wizard.exe, the file should be in the install directory. I haven't had much luck either at work or home getting the network version to work. The boot disk is NORTON Ghost

One note: you can only copy images to a partition on the same drive. However once created you can copy them to another drive if necessary.

To create or restore an image boot from the boot disk made above and the menu choices will be obvious.

Happy Holidays
what do you mean you can only copy images to a partition on the same drive? Am I understanding that you can make the image to a cd/r?

Hi all

Yes you can copy images to a CD-R from the hard drive.

Ok lets say you want to create a image of your C: drive, and you have the following configuration.

2 hard drives

C:
D:

or C: D: on 1st hard drive
E: is the second hard drive

You can only copy images to C: in the first example or to C: or D: in the second example. For some reason ( probably a bug ) GHOST can only see one drive at a time. However once you have a copy of an image on a harddrive you can burn it copy it anywhere else, archive it etc.

I have had much better success creating a partition called images on my 1st drive about 10 gigs and saving my images there then coppying a backup of the most recent image to my second drive just in case. Since my root partition in 5 gigs the image will not fit on a single CD, and I am not sure if GHOST will span CD's.

I also reccomend getting Partition Magic it will help organize and create partitions to set up a workable system without having to reformat.

The config I use is as follows

1st Drive

C: System-just winXP installed here 10 gigs
D: Programs all programs 15 gigs
E: Data- just data 5 gigs
F: Games just Games 15 gigs
G: Images Images of C: partition 10 gigs

2nd drive

H: MP3's Install files backups etc 40 gigs backup of most recent image

Give it a try I have recovered from some serious FUBARS using this organization under win 98 no real problems under XP however been stable almost 2 months on two machines. :)

Happy Holidays

Originally posted by cychem
Hi all

Yes you can copy images to a CD-R from the hard drive.

Ok lets say you want to create a image of your C: drive, and you have the following configuration.

2 hard drives

C:
D:

or C: D: on 1st hard drive
E: is the second hard drive

You can only copy images to C: in the first example or to C: or D: in the second example. For some reason ( probably a bug ) GHOST can only see one drive at a time. However once you have a copy of an image on a harddrive you can burn it copy it anywhere else, archive it etc.

I have had much better success creating a partition called images on my 1st drive about 10 gigs and saving my images there then coppying a backup of the most recent image to my second drive just in case. Since my root partition in 5 gigs the image will not fit on a single CD, and I am not sure if GHOST will span CD's.

I also reccomend getting Partition Magic it will help organize and create partitions to set up a workable system without having to reformat.

The config I use is as follows

1st Drive

C: System-just winXP installed here 10 gigs
D: Programs all programs 15 gigs
E: Data- just data 5 gigs
F: Games just Games 15 gigs
G: Images Images of C: partition 10 gigs

2nd drive

H: MP3's Install files backups etc 40 gigs backup of most recent image

Give it a try I have recovered from some serious FUBARS using this organization under win 98 no real problems under XP however been stable almost 2 months on two machines. :)

Happy Holidays

Go check out the link Speed posted. Has a great interactive video there. According to it, you can burn directly to the CDR and it does span it out over the needed CDRs.

I dislike partition magic. Everytime I used it to format my drive and remake my partitions, XP won't like it. Won't install on the drive and I have to use XP to make the partition and such. It's good for 2000 though. Don;t know why, but oh well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back