A Question for Those Who Installed SP-1

A

allan

We are getting some complaints at another site that a number of people who installed SP1 today have had some of their Services disappear from the Services list (included are Alerter, Computer browser, Net logon, NT LM security support provider, Remote procedure call locator, and Workstation).

I updated but still have all my services. I'm curious to know how many of you have noticed the same problem. It would be nice if we could find some commonality among those who dont.

Thanks folks.

Thanks - but this could be a very long list if everyone who has not had a problem responds. Maybe we should just shoot for those who are missing services. ;)

Thanks again.

They are all here on mine, not something I have customised here tho...

Reminds me that I need to do it :)

Its like when I have to install XP, I love the app and what it does but I hate going thru all the options :p

http://www.blkviper.com has the service tweaks if anyone is thinking of doing the same anyway...

Just an advisory before going to Black Viper's excellent site for the first time (if I may, EP). First, the site is really not geared toward novice users, so be careful. Second, follow BV's often stated advice and don't disable too many services at once - make a few changes and give it a few days to see how things go. Then go back and make a few more, and so on.

Or u can follow his guide and if unsure set that service to manual so should XP need it XP can start it. Same goes if ur usin 2k as well

Well I have done it a few times, I don't do all his tweaks, but it is a good reference...

mmmmm

I seen somewhere out here people having all kinds of trouble toget stuff to work ie: install sp1 because they had messed with certain services or changed boot screens crap like that I would like to know what real diff 3 or 4 services is gonna make in the end what does it really give you ? 5 -10 mb of ram ?

It's cumulative. And some services have greater effects than others - especially when disabled (ie, the time gained during gui loading with Workstation disabled).

SP1 by PC Cillin is considered a trojan. After all it replaces serious system files and this is going to cause you to replace alot of them to me it is like have two copies of the same software on on brand new machine. When I defrag I see how much space it takes up, even tho I say DON'T archive it. This is from the XP download update site. Right now I am against it.
MY XP Home machine runs great without it. And I cannot change the custom to MS at all. Weird junk. Also they made last minute changes so don't think the file on this or any other board is up to date.
---Rich

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back