A question about processors...

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Hi guys .. I am getting myself a new PC for the purpose of playing games, photo editing and web building. Some of the applications that I could think of as below:-

1. Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Game)
2. Silent Hunter 4 (Game)
3. Command & Conquer (Haven't release yet - Game)
4. Adobe Photoshop (Photo)
5. Macromedia Flash (Web building)

I am having trouble to decide which processor to go for?

Option 1: Intel Pentium D - 945
Option 2: Intel Pentium D - 940
Option 3: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Option 4: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

Honestly I have no idea what difference in terms of performance for the above mentioned processors.

Also which of these are important??

1. Intel Virtualization Technology
2. Intel Hyper Threading Technology

It seems that none of the processors above mentioned has Intel Hyper Threading Technology but the E6600, E6400, and D940 has Intel Virtualization Technology. Why not the D945 though?? :suprised::suprised::suprised::suprised::suprised:

Hope to shed some light on the above. Thanks. :dead:

Re: << A simple question >>

pentium d's suck... go for core 2
just pick the one that adjusts better to your budget, they're both pretty great

hyper threading is an old tech, is kind of a virtual dual core... with real dual cores out is now obsolete
virtualization hardware support is important if you're planning on running a virtual pc (it improves performance)

Right, Pentium D's are less efficient, hotter, and nowhere near as good as the Core 2 Duos. So it's a toss up between the E6400 and the E6600.

The E6600 has 4MB of level 2 cache, whereas the E6400 only has 2MB and is slower. For the extra £50 or so, the performance increase between the two is definitely worth the money.

I have just bought a Core 2 Duo E6600 and it's staggeringly quick, I would definitely recommend it. It will play any of those games very smoothly (providing you have a good GPU) and run those programs flawlesely, and you won't need to upgrade for ages.

Which graphics cards were you considering?

really?? ok .. so the processor is sorted out.

For the graphic card, I am considering the NVidia's 7600 GT with 256MB of DDR3 as the 7900 series is a little on the high side for me.

What do you guys think? Would 7600 GT be sufficient for the applications that I am running or would it be worth the investment to go for 7900 instead considering the long term investment proposition?

I am also thinking of ATi. Perhaps Radeon X1650 with 256MB of DDR3 will be good enough as the difference between the 2 is approximately US$30 here. Whats your light on this?:crosseyed:

On the low side of the cards you listed, the 7600GT is the most cost-effective and can deliver a fine performance, plus it's an absolute steal at $109.

If you are thinking 7900, though, I'd go for broke instead and take a look at a factory-overclocked 8800GTS 320MB for $300. They deliver huge bang-for-the-buck, and if you get an SLI system, you can buy another very cheaply a few months down the road when the new games come out. I guess the SLI option applies to the 7600s too...something to consider!

Last edited:
Re: << A question about processors >>

I'd suggest looking at ATI radeon x1950 pro, XT or XTX over nvidia unless you splurge on the 600meg or higher 8800GTS or GTX. the 320MB GTS is not going to be very quick in DX10 apps and is just as fast as the top end radeon X1900 series in everything else.

an 8800gts would be the perfect partner for that core2... if it's out of your league, then the 7600 series are very good in the price/perf ratio

The 320 MB GTS beats the poo out of a 1950XTX. Still costs more than two SLId 7600s though.

Hehe I think you caught me getting my reviews mixed up :yowch:

If you check out Tom's Hardware Guide's roundup of the most cost effective graphics cards, the 7600GT comes out with a resounding thumbs up.

Check out the guide here.

I went for one myself as I didn't want to be spending too much but stil wanted good performance. The way I looked at it is that it'll tide me over for quite a while, and by the time I need to upgrade I'll have saved enough money for a real badass card.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I read somewhere that the X1650 beats the 7600 GT flat .. I am not thinking of anything high-end due to budget purpose.

I have to decide now on either the X1650 or the 7600 option. :smoker::smoker::smoker:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I read somewhere that the X1650 beats the 7600 GT flat .. I am not thinking of anything high-end due to budget purpose.

I have to decide now on either the X1650 or the 7600 option. :smoker::smoker::smoker:

The X1650 is a little below the 7600GT in performance. Just make sure you don't accidentally buy a GS :eek:

i have a 7600GS and it's great... really cheap too
if you overclock it, it can achieve near GT speeds without too much trouble

Thanks guys .. coming to the graphic card may I ask what is SLi?

Sorry but I haven't keep myself updated on technology for quite sometime now. :dead::dead::dead:

If I am not mistaken, SLi means having 2 card of the same model and specifications to achieve higher performance right?

Please enlighten me. Cheers.

Oh yeah .. i checked and saw that 7600GT is SLi ready. Assuming SLi is what I mentioned before, that means I would have to get a mainboard that supports SLi right?

Actually .. is it worthwhile using SLi technology as compared to buying a higher powered card like the 7950GT?

I would look at the 8800 line of cards one single 8800GTS beats out 2 x 79XX cards in SLI

So I would say either go with one 8800GTS or one 8800GTX of if you really want SLI then yes you need the motherboard that has place for 2 videocards and you will need an extra BEEFY PSU and if you SLI then you need really good cooling inside the case also 2 x the heat with 2 cards, plus SLI dont go near Vista for now no SLI support ...

So in terms of performance, even with SLi on 2 x 7600GT, it is nowhere near the 8800 GT range?

8800 GT belongs to which company? NVidia or ATi? I can't seem to find 8800 in NVidia's website?

I found it on the NVidia website. I am guessing this babe must be the top notch in terms of pricing and performance at this moment?:nervous:

So in terms of performance, even with SLi on 2 x 7600GT, it is nowhere near the 8800 GT range?

8800 GT belongs to which company? NVidia or ATi? I can't seem to find 8800 in NVidia's website?

Here take a peak this will give you an idea you can pick and chose cards side by side and compare

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=608&model2=528&chart=199

And yes the 8800GTS or 8800GTX are the pinnacle of performance, for now of course

btw, sli is never worthwhile (unless you got tons o' cash)... double the price for ~40% better performance

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back