A point of no return?...

M

Markoul

hi,

I don't know how or when this happened but after a point my XP Pro installation is refusing to run the sfc /scannow command. No virus in my system. Help and Support Service is refusing to start as well as the Upload Manager Service.

Thank you

snap095.jpg

Is there a way to run at least sfc /scannow so then i can heal my system. i think it must have been a malicious attack before i had installed SP1 through the Help & support Center venerability of XP

Hi, Welcome to NTFS. Could you possibly resize your image? There are quite a few members on dialup still and that will probably take ages for load for them.

Thanx and again, welcome :)

Markoul , you've restored your system (from a crash) before all these ?

Maybe some registry keys corrupted .. probably cause somethin' else I can't imagine now :confused:

Try this:

Start>Run>services.msc

Start the two Remote Procedure Call (RPC) services if they haven't been started already, and try again.

none of these solutions is working.

Yes i had recovered from a serious crash.

Already did that, no go:(

Thank You for your efforts

no, same as before no go.

However, i discovered something interesting. I think my installation is f****d up but i see it more as a challenge. Last night i downloaded File Monitor from sysinternals and i have find out that whenever i have tried to start the Help and support service of windows XP the path to the pchsvc.dll was not found so it must be wrong.

I then did research in the registry and have found that the global environmental parameter WINDIR was incorrectly assigned to WINDIR=c:/ :eek: so i changed it manually to WINDIR=c:/windows as it should be.

Now Help and Support Service and Upload Manager services are starting normally but still the Help and Support Center console is not coming up when i press the F1 key...strange!!:confused:

The Sfc /scannow command is a different story. Filemonitor showed me that everything is loading fine except that the sfc.exe.manifest and sfc.exe.local attributes are not found!!

I think a good solution would be to make the sfc /scannow command running again and then let it take care and resurrect the system...what do you think??

I never came across a such difficult problem...

I am running a Windows XP SP1 (including all the latest SP2 hotfixes) US English installation.

Thank you Guys

koko,

I thought an ET like you to come up with a smarter idea...

Markoul

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back