A new system or just Video Card Upgrade?

• Thread starter Cannibal Corpse
  • Start date
C

Cannibal Corpse

Hi All,

I would like to know if I should get a GeForce4 Ti 4600 to replace my current GeFoce 2 Ultra 64MB, instead of upgrading my PIII-850 CPU to a P4. I also happen to have 1GB PC-133 SDRAM for Memory.

So a new CPU or VIDEO CARD?

p.s. I am playing WARCRAFT III and it rules! (but I need a faster video card)

Many thanks in advance.

You certainly have plenty of RAM, and your CPU is powerful enough for at least another 6 months I reckon.

So Id say get the graphics card m8 :) simple as that.

go with a amd xp2200
cheaper thatn a ge4ti4600:)

Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
go with a amd xp2200
cheaper thatn a ge4ti4600:)

lol if he went with AMD he would need a new motherboard. So in reality, it might not be cheaper.

ge4ti4600 roughly 400dollars
cpu/mobo roughly 300

still cheeper:)

Don't forget that I still need RAM (DDR or RDRAM). Not to mention that once I upgrade, I really can't used my old GeForce2 :(

So it is CPU+MoBo+RAM+new Graphic Card = LOTS of Mulla! $$$

Actually, (before the piece of junk died, a victim of bad memory), my GF2MX ran all my games very nicely...and trust me..I had an 800mhz Athlon, and getting a new video card won't solve all your problems. A system upgrade will do me fine until I save up for that GF4 Ti 4400 I've been eyeing. But seriously, if you get a video card, your processor and pc133 memory will be a bottleneck. But if you get a processor/mobo/ddr/rambus(go with ddr, amd or intel) memory, your video card will probibly hold out long enough so you can save for a new one! My advice: Upgrade the processor/mainboard/memory..you can't go wrong. I run all games at full settings and my gf2 can handle it. Get that P4 2.5 or Athlon 2200+, you won't regret it!

Originally posted by Cannibal Corpse
Don't forget that I still need RAM (DDR or RDRAM). Not to mention that once I upgrade, I really can't used my old GeForce2 :(

So it is CPU+MoBo+RAM+new Graphic Card = LOTS of Mulla! $$$
No you probably can't use your GF2 if it's a 3.3V AGP card. New mobos (at least some) only support 1.5V AGP. AND you'll need a new case (or at least a new PSU).

Originally posted by Zedric
No you probably can't use your GF2 if it's a 3.3V AGP card. New mobos (at least some) only support 1.5V AGP. AND you'll need a new case (or at least a new PSU).
If it's a 4X, doesn't that mean it's 1.5V? I'm using my GF2 in my new mobo, and it's just fine!

OK, I just went out and bought an ANTEC "SmartPower" 350W Power Supply. Installed it, and started playing the game:

The game runs fine for 5 minutes, but the game still freezes...

I am beginning to think that maybe the Visiontek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti4600 card is bad since it does NOT have the traditional nVIDIA PATENTED heatsink/fan combo: Instead it has a measley blue "orb" shaped fan. The Card itself is REALLY hot also...

Shouldn't I tweak anything in my MoBo's BIOS? What about the size of APARTURE GRILL? (It is set to 64MB)

Any clues?

Thanks again.

Try setting the A.G. to about half of your RAM size...i.e. 256 if you have 512 megs installed. Also, turn off agp read syncronization. If that doesn't solve it (which, sorry to say, I doubt it will), try setting the AGP to 2X or 1X for stability. Also, update the Dentonator drivers to 28.32 or 29.42...I think those are pretty current versions. Go to Nvidia.com or warp2search.net to find drivers for it. Hope that helps!

Originally posted by UofEEE

If it's a 4X, doesn't that mean it's 1.5V? I'm using my GF2 in my new mobo, and it's just fine!
BTW, I just ran a old ATI Rage Pro Turbo 2X in my new computer...ran just fine. You just have to set the AGP to 2x in bios...

a p3 850 paired with a gf2 ultra? your cpu is already the bottleneck, so getting a top-of-the-line video card more suitable for, say, ddr systems with at least 1.6ghz isn't wise. warcraft 3 is exactly the kind of game that puts a heavy load on your cpu. upgrade your cpu if at all possible. or better yet, buy a new cpu/mobo/memory set ($300-$400 for amd, $400-$600 for intel) and keep your gf2 ultra since it's a very decent card with lots of video memory bandwidth.

that's what i'd do, anyway.

I am beginning to think that maybe the Visiontek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti4600 card is bad since it does NOT have the traditional nVIDIA PATENTED heatsink/fan combo: Instead it has a measley blue "orb" shaped fan. The Card itself is REALLY hot also...

where did you buy your card? maybe you got a fake i dunno......i use an xtasy card and looks exactly like the one toms hardware reviewed.
http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020522/ti4400_4600-11.html

Originally posted by UofEEE

No, I don't think so. My mobo only supports 1.5V cards. The AGP port is "flipped" so the old cards won't fit at all. The "cross barrier" (or whatever) is on the inner side of the mobo (like the PCI slots). The older ports have the barrier on the outer side. Since new 1.5V cards have two slits in the connector they fit in both 1.5V and 3.3V mobos.

Hi All,

I would like to know if I should get a GeForce4 Ti 4600 to replace my current GeFoce 2 Ultra 64MB, instead of upgrading my PIII-850 CPU to a P4. I also happen to have 1GB PC-133 SDRAM for Memory.

So a new CPU or VIDEO CARD?

p.s. I am playing WARCRAFT III and it rules! (but I need a faster video card)

Many thanks in advance.

You can shoot 2 rabbits :
- buy an AMD Athon & motherboard
- & geforce 3 or4(MX)

my opinion . . .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back