A good HeatSink and fan?

G

Gouk

I was thinking of a heatsink and fan combo which are enough to cool an Athlon XP 2000 and are not very pricey. Here is one which I may get:

THERMALTAKE VOLCANO 7 VARI SPEED

Now is this any good to any of you who have one? Also how loud is it?

if this is not good can you recommend one for this system:

AMD Athlon XP 2000 (1.67 Ghz)
Abit KR7A-133
CyberTech Midi ATX with 350W PSU
HeatSink and Fan (???)
8CM ATX EverCool Case Cooler
512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (MAJOR)
15" Hansol 510A Monitor
LeadTek GeForce2 Ti
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Player OEM
RealTek 8139-C 10/100 PCI Network Card
56K Internal PCI Hardware Modem
40GB Maxtor 4D040H2 ATA100/5400
120GB Maxtor D540X ATA133/5400
3½ Floppy Drive
Plextor 40x-40x-12x CD-Writer
Pioneer 16x-40x DVD/CD-ROM

Here is a picture of the THERMALTAKE VOLCANO 7 VARI SPEED:

I have the Athlon XP 1700 and I did use the original AMD heatsink/fan until about a month ago. I was converting video into the DivX format (cpu intensive) and after about 15 minutes the thermal alarm started going off (I had my BIOS set to trip an alarm if my cpu hit 65 degrees celcious). I was not happy about that, so I later researched heatsink/fan combos offered on the market. The best info I could find was at Tom's Hardware Guide if I'm not mistaken. They compared a lot of differents makes.

I was not able to find the top recommended heatsink/fan, but I stumbled upon the Volcano 7, and bought it based on the fact that it automatically ajusts its speed based on temp (for quietness), it has an aluminum heatsink w/ a copper core....the copper is very beneficial, and I was impressed with its design/appearance. In addition, it was not terribly expensive.

I installed it, installed a program to monitor my temps while in WinXP, and my cpu has not climbed above 43-44 degrees celcious since, no matter how much I push the cpu.

It generates more noise than the stock AMD heatsink/fan, but you soon forget that after you see how well it cools your cpu. Plus, you will probably find that most non-stock fans are going to make more noise. I would recommend it to anyone.

Volcano 7 is real good one, another one to consider is the dynatron DC1206BM-L638 7000 rpm, not a bad deal.

Dynatron

Originally posted by Goku

AMD Athlon XP 2000 (1.67 Ghz)
Abit KR7A-133
CyberTech Midi ATX with 350W PSU
HeatSink and Fan (???)
8CM ATX EverCool Case Cooler
512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (MAJOR)
15" Hansol 510A Monitor
LeadTek GeForce2 Ti
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Player OEM
RealTek 8139-C 10/100 PCI Network Card
56K Internal PCI Hardware Modem
40GB Maxtor 4D040H2 ATA100/5400
120GB Maxtor D540X ATA133/5400
3½ Floppy Drive
Plextor 40x-40x-12x CD-Writer
Pioneer 16x-40x DVD/CD-ROM

Is there enough cooling here for this system? I'm going to build my own PC you see so I need to know if I need to add more fans and stuff.

What is the difference between a XP2000 and the XP2000+ ?

In my previous post I didn't take into account the fact that you have the 2000+ cpu.

I agree with Catch23 in that you should not go with the Volcano 7 for your particular cpu.

In fact, I just took a look at the original box that my Volcano 7 came in, and it states that it is good for Athlon up to 1800+, but that is it.

The Volcano 7+ is probably good, but it is a little different. It has a switch integrated into its wiring rather than automatic speed adjustment. I believe there are 3 positions...likely low, med, high...or something to that effect. That's fine but what do you do with the switch? It doesn't look very easy to mount so you can access it externally. This would mean you would have to open up your case to make adjustments or make some case modifications.

Of course that is assuming that you would need to adjust the switch depending on what type of load you put on the cpu. Maybe leaving it at the middle setting would work just fine for different cpu loads. I think the V7+ has a full copper heatsink, so this could be the case.

Does anyone have this heatsink/fan setup? If so, what is your experience with it?

In the UK, the Volcano 7 is £10 and the + version is £15, though I have not got the + version yet, I am waiting for it. From the info at ThermalTake the £5 is worth shelling out, more future proof

you may want to put more exaust fans and intake fans into there because it may need some good cooling for a high end AMD system

Wouldn't u say the Dragon Orb III is better than the Volacno 7+ ?

it sure looks like it, and it even cost less

Couldnt say cant find any thermal cooling info at TT.

I looked about and I couldnt find any Volcano 7+ reviews, has anybody got any places that I could check.
I would not bother with the Orbs, they are too tall, so in my system that would add too much stress to the CPU fixing.

Thermalright AX-7 $24 + 31 dB 2600 rpm 39CFM fan = Great Cooling + Pretty damn quiet.

If you don't like quiet you can also get a 60 CFM 5500 rpm delta screamer, but you will have to bolt your puter down to keep it from flying across the room.

Do a search of these forums for CPU temps, AX7, etc, you will find tons of info.

Don't know about the volcano. But I have almost the exact setup as you and my temps rarely go over 40 (avg = 34) absolute max temp =47.5 on a very hot day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back