A good cooling fan?

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
At present I have an artic silent cooler. It handles up to an athlon 3200xp proccessor. It runs around 50c or just over. Can anyone recomend one that'll cool my cpu down further.

Doom said:
At present I have an artic silent cooler. It handles up to an athlon 3200xp proccessor. It runs around 50c or just over. Can anyone recomend one that'll cool my cpu down further.

Sounds like you are in need of a whole new heatsink and not just a fan. Check out the Thermalright SP97.

Why is it that most folks get woried about amd's running at 50c if you dont mind me asking? I thought they were designed to run pretty hot.

Coolermaster Aero 7.
My 3000+ runs at 40ºC :)
True, I do have 3 case fans and a dual fan PSU...

Doom said:
Why is it that most folks get woried about amd's running at 50c if you dont mind me asking? I thought they were designed to run pretty hot.
those people that worry about 50c are hte ones that want to overclock farther and push teh limits. overclocking will be more a little successful if you keep the core temp down. which is why the extreme overclockers use liquid nitrogen to keep their core below zero. that's only for benchmarking purposes, though. :rolleyes:

for the typical overclocker, 50c isn't bad at all. i wouldn't worry about it.

Yes ........... Coolermaster Aero 7 keeps my system ( 2800 Barton,o'clocked to 2225mhz) ,down to mid 30s.

If you have a backpanel with 2 fan slots, you can train these fans directly onto the Aero 7 and even run it low @2700 rpm.

Water cooling is good but dont anyone try liquid Nitrogen.... spill that on the skin or put your foot on a spill and you might need a skin graft or worse !

I’ve just bought an aero 7+ cooler for my athlon 2800 barton. It say’s on the box that it’s silent but At full speed 3500rpm I find it anything but. Is it supposed to be silent at that speed? Mind you The temp of my cpu is just one step down even at that speed. 49c

I've got one of these puppies....works a treat! Read the reviews...its better than the non-lite (more expensive) version.

Doom said:
I’ve just bought an aero 7+ cooler for my athlon 2800 barton. It say’s on the box that it’s silent but At full speed 3500rpm I find it anything but. Is it supposed to be silent at that speed? Mind you The temp of my cpu is just one step down even at that speed. 49c
your temp is higher than it should be. can you tell us step-by-step how you went about installing it? what kind of case fans do you have going on? what's your system temp?

Teddy said:
I've got one of these puppies....works a treat! Read the reviews...its better than the non-lite (more expensive) version.
wrong link. i get "Xtend Lion Batt Ibm-thinkpad 570 E 2644 2643".

Doom, theres no point putting it at full speed, I keep mine at mid level - about 2300 rpm.

Found out (partly) what is causing those temps. I got a new case around a week ago and did'nt notice that the fans at the rear and side of the pc were blowing air out not in. I've changed the rear one so it blows cool air in. What should I do with the one on the side. Should I leave it as it is blowing out or should I change it to blow cool air in? I know the one on the psu blows out so I'm not sure what to do with the side one.

Doom said:
Found out (partly) what is causing those temps. I got a new case around a week ago and did'nt notice that the fans at the rear and side of the pc were blowing air out not in. I've changed the rear one so it blows cool air in. What should I do with the one on the side. Should I leave it as it is blowing out or should I change it to blow cool air in? I know the one on the psu blows out so I'm not sure what to do with the side one.

I have 5 fans.... 2 rear to blow in ,psu fan blow out , 1 on see thru side .. blow in ,and 2 front blow out for drives.
With a balance you can cool the interior even without front to back continuous air flow.
I have 8 bays @ front being used , so no real f/b flow.
Up to date cases should have the means to direct the airflow from fans directly on the Coolermaster for further cooling.
The Aero7 does seem to get noisy on continual use @ max rpm.

umm... the rear case fans are referred to as exhaust fans. they're meant to blow hot air out. air is meant to move from the front of your case to the rear so it flows over every component and cools everything off. they way you would have your fans situated, your video card and drives aren't getting nearly as much air as they should. besides, a rear case fan sucking in already-warm air that being exhausted by the power supply right next to it isn't very good idea.

you should leave the rear fans blowing out and your side fan blowing in. where is the side fan? i mean, what is it over?

and let me refer to my last questions that went unanswered..
Taurus said:
your temp is higher than it should be. can you tell us step-by-step how you went about installing it? what's your system temp?

Typed too quick ........... as you were. rear fans exhaust.
Centre one covers mid board/pci area.

you should leave the rear fans blowing out and your side fan blowing in. where is the side fan? i mean, what is it over?

and let me refer to my last questions that went unanswered..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus
your temp is higher than it should be. can you tell us step-by-step how you went about installing it? what's your system temp?

The side fan is right in the middle of the board. I did as you suggested and thing's seem a bit better. The cpu is down to 47c now and system is down to 34c from 39c. When I put the cpu and heat sink in I Pulled the clamp up and put the cpu in then down. I put the termal paist that came with the heat sink all over the die. Not to much. Spread it out over the die with a cotton bud making sure that none went anywhere else then I put the heat sink on and clamped it down. One thing. How should the cooler be pointing? I have it (the large fan bit ) pointing to the side fan. The small fan bit with the cables coming out are at the rear of the pc.

Doom said:
The side fan is right in the middle of the board. I did as you suggested and thing's seem a bit better. The cpu is down to 47c now and system is down to 34c from 39c. When I put the cpu and heat sink in I Pulled the clamp up and put the cpu in then down. I put the termal paist that came with the heat sink all over the die. Not to much. Spread it out over the die with a cotton bud making sure that none went anywhere else then I put the heat sink on and clamped it down. One thing. How should the cooler be pointing? I have it (the large fan bit ) pointing to the side fan. The small fan bit with the cables coming out are at the rear of the pc.
well, it seems you did an adequate job of installing the heatsink. i could point out ways to do it better, but i'm just picky.
:p

since air is entering the front/bottom of the case and moving roughly in a diagonal stream to the back/top, the aero7 should probably point towards the front or bottom to help it catch the cool air. but don't count on it making a big difference.

when you say "small fan bit", so you mean the fan speed controller that takes up a pci slot? well, it doesn't matter where you put that. it won't affect temperatures.

don't happen to have a digital camera, do you? some pics would simplify things.

well, it seems you did an adequate job of installing the heatsink. i could point out ways to do it better, but i'm just picky.

since air is entering the front/bottom of the case and moving roughly in a diagonal stream to the back/top, the aero7 should probably point towards the front or bottom to help it catch the cool air. but don't count on it making a big difference.

when you say "small fan bit", so you mean the fan speed controller that takes up a pci slot? well, it doesn't matter where you put that. it won't affect temperatures.

don't happen to have a digital camera, do you? some pics would simplify things.

No such luck. I wish I had.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back