A genuinely general thread about bills

Graebob

Generally Random
Hello everyone <bows>

I have a question. My electricity bill has just come through, and its a fookin whopper. We (as in myself and 2 housemates) now owe ~£169 for the period february - april this year.

Is that a lot? This being our first year managing our own bills, I don't know whether we're paying over the odds or whatever. Currently our house runs 3 desktops, 4 teles (which admittedly dont get used very often), 2 fridges, 2 microwaves and an electric cooker, amongst other smaller random appliances.

It brings up the question...just how much power can a desktop use?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Well mine per 1/4 for a three bedroom Cottage, puter always on, large freezer and fridge always on, hall lights on 20 hours, we have gas heating though.

I do recharge a lot of batteries. Radio is on 24/7, mmm Tv on about 6 hours per day.

approx £84.per 1/4 gas half that per 1/4 btw.
I do use energy saving light bulbs also.

Maybe the neighbours have hot wired your circuits.

I know when I was a kid a neighbour ran his supply off the street light outside.

I once lived in a house with 3 other people and one month our electric bill was over $800 dollars. That is about 20x what it should have been.

Turned out the thermostat for the water heater was broken and just kept heating water to boiling point.
I would look for problems and talk to the landlord if you find a problem.

We didnt have to pay that huge bill....the owner took on most of it.

(My desktop is on most of the time and it doesnt use a whole lot of power.

desktops dont use that much... but i dont what your rate is/currency exchange, etc... It does sound a little high though... perhaps you should look for crossed wires, broken appliances, electricity rates on appliances?

if your using an electric cooker then yes that doesnt sound too huge - my house runs 2 desktops on most ofthe time, our server on 24/7, a laptop thats on most of the time, my stereo on 24/7 almost, and a big tv which is on bout 12hrs a day (my housemate is a tv addict). we have a gas cooker and hot water heated by gas. our quaterly bills for thuis year have been about £90 ish. so yours including electric cooker (and possible electric hot water if your house has no gas?) doesnt sound too bad as cookers tend to use quite alot and u have an extra fridge also and a microwave which we havnt bothered this year.

Yeah most of that will be from the electric cooker.Theres 4 people in here and my bills don't come anywhere near that.
Mind you my gas bills are huge and I don't really use the fire or radiators that much as I have a mobile calor gas fire so god knows what I'm being charged for :eek:

Interesting, gas boiler comes on 8.pm. for two hours for hot water everyday of the week. Radiators we have on during winter, slow simmer, only 4 times this past month have we had radiators on.

Currently the bill is about 15 a month for gas (summer conditions) 25 during cold snaps and winter per month. We got a gas fire also.

Suprised why you have such high bills Margee and prefer to use a calor gas heater which in real terms must cost a lot more to refill.

I've just had a new boiler put in that gives you hot water on demand with no need to out it on timer each day and new economy radiators that have a heat setting on so hopefully the bill should be lower this year.
I have the mobile fire cause the radiators make me feel ill and there's no other heating in this room.Costs me £10 a bottle and it lasts about 6-7 weeks.

Maybe you feel a bit icky from the build up of co2. I get that headache feeling too from the fire.
Just open a small window, air brick i think not big enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back