A friend using wireless network...

zapoqx

Striking Master
I was trying to play a game with one of my friends but I noticed one thing...
He is VERY limited on what games he can connect with on his network.

As far as I know, he connects with his neighbor's system. I was thinking if his neighbor gave his computer IP DMZ mode, he'd be able to host and connect to servers easier. Would this work?

As of right now, he can almost never connect to me depending on the game, and he can't host servers because I can never connect to him (even when he had dial-up).

Thanks

Yes it would probably make it possible for him to host.

BUT! It also means he loses all protection from the router, so he will have to run his own firewall. The firewall needs to be configured to let through the ports the games use. If any of you are allready running software firewalls, this is likely to be the problem.

i second zedric's comment.
it would be better to open the ports on the router's firewall then to go in the DMZ, unless you have a software firewall.

I third zedric's comment. Altho DMZ is easier to use it will completely expose the PC to the internet.

An easy solution is to get someone else to host, someone that can configure there firewall/router with port forwarding.

Also, has the neighbour changed the router's default password, if not you could setup port forwarding yourself.

*Unless he has permission to use there wireless, I dont really support this setup.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back