A friend using wireless network...

zapoqx

Striking Master
I was trying to play a game with one of my friends but I noticed one thing...
He is VERY limited on what games he can connect with on his network.

As far as I know, he connects with his neighbor's system. I was thinking if his neighbor gave his computer IP DMZ mode, he'd be able to host and connect to servers easier. Would this work?

As of right now, he can almost never connect to me depending on the game, and he can't host servers because I can never connect to him (even when he had dial-up).

Thanks

Yes it would probably make it possible for him to host.

BUT! It also means he loses all protection from the router, so he will have to run his own firewall. The firewall needs to be configured to let through the ports the games use. If any of you are allready running software firewalls, this is likely to be the problem.

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
i second zedric's comment.
it would be better to open the ports on the router's firewall then to go in the DMZ, unless you have a software firewall.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
I third zedric's comment. Altho DMZ is easier to use it will completely expose the PC to the internet.

An easy solution is to get someone else to host, someone that can configure there firewall/router with port forwarding.

Also, has the neighbour changed the router's default password, if not you could setup port forwarding yourself.

*Unless he has permission to use there wireless, I dont really support this setup.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut