A file I cannot delete, yep I tried the usual things...

H

Herkalees

I'm helping my friend with his PC, and he dropped it off at my place for a night or two, he asked me to solve the problem I write about below and I'm having no luck.

Have a look at the attachment please, I cannot delete the file. (You'll see some properties etc in the image)

Here is what I have tried so far:

Safe mode, still get the same error message upon deletion.

Command prompt, I type "del ShowLetter[1]." while I'm in the "Crap" directory and it tells me "Could not find..."

I heard somewhere if using Notepad, you could delete a file that is giving you trouble while in the "Browse" window... Nope, same error.

I've tried renaming the file with a different extension, I get the same error I get when trying to delete it.

I've run AdAware 6 and trashed all the things it has found, Ran a fully updated Norton AV, Disabled all services in "services.msc" I knew weren't neccessary at the time...

...nothing helps. Any idea's??

Thanks!

When using the command prompt did you open the task manager & end explorer then try to delete?

Have you tried removing the folder with the rd command?

if nothing works then do what i did when i had the same problem, pull the hdd out of that pc and move it to secondary on anouther pc and delete it from that one there for nothing will be running off that hdd at all so in theroy it should work, it did for me

sboulema great minds think alike:p aint we just posted the same proggie ?

hahah burp didnt check your link :p thtas the same proggie, but it is th best one out there

Would try again from command prompt (preferably using safe mode with command prompt).

Navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings\Douba\Desktop\Crap>

type DIR /X

this will give you the 8.3 file name of Showletter[1].

type

del\\.\C:\DOCUME~1\DOUBA\DESKTOP\CRAP\SHOWLE~1

Check if these names correspond to what DIR /X told you.

May or may not work.

create a file called Showletter[1] copy it to that folder then delete it, its worked for me in the past

Geffy, ever tried to create a file that ends with a period?

"ShowLetter[1]." ;)

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
When using the command prompt did you open the task manager & end explorer then try to delete?

Have you tried removing the folder with the rd command?

Thankyou all for your help and advice, ultimately Hipster's advice was the first thing I tried, and it worked.

Thanks all!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back