A Few Question

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
Whats more secure having the router act as a DCHP or the ISP? How would I go about sharing drivers and files between two different networks?
My boss wants to mirror his current HDD? I don't think he has a RAID mobo and if he did I think know how to mirror. So on that note how would I go about mirroring an IDE to another IDE?

Sinster said:
So on that note how would I go about mirroring an IDE to another IDE?

does he just want to back it up or get some performance boost? if you're looking to back it up and you don't think his mobo supports raid, try an external hdd. there are many different types of raid, but most modern boards support 0 (basically just gives a performance boost), 1 (actually mirrors the drive and in case there's a hardware failure, the other drive takes over), 5 (stripes data with parity blocks across several drives and offers the benefits of both 0 and 1).

Sinster said:
Whats more secure having the router act as a DCHP or the ISP?

your isp does not assign ip addresses to machines on your network - you only get one (unless you purchase more) and since you have a router, the ip is assigned to it. and it's actually dhcp, not dchp. if you have dhcp enabled on your router, the router will simply pass out ip addys to all the machines on your network. if you have it disabled, you'll have to give static ip addys to the machines. one is not more secure than the other. i happen to use both on my lan. just depends on your needs.

Sinster said:
How would I go about sharing drivers and files between two different networks?

i assume you mean 2 networks that aren't physically linked? if so, you'd probably need to use something like a virtual private network. see if your isp supports it.

Ok here is the deal.

He has 2 NIC in each computer one goes to the server to ROUTER and then 4 computers on one NIC. The other Modem > wireless router > NIC. All other machines can access SERVER and access Internet VIA Wireless. However His computer can't connect to the Server which is hard wired, he can access the internet again hardwired. Is this my problem?

i'm finding it a little hard to understand the setup.

from what i can gather, his computer can get on the net, but can't see the other machines - is that right?

first, i'd check 2 things on his computer:

1: make sure he's in the same workgroup as the others
2: make sure the ip for his machine is in the same subnet range

when does the 64bit version of windows come out? and what performsace increases would it envolve. i guess can someone just explain what the diffrences is exactly i understrand the basics.

sraycoz said:
when does the 64bit version of windows come out? and what performsace increases would it envolve. i guess can someone just explain what the diffrences is exactly i understrand the basics.
well the beta version of xp 64 is out you can download the iso for free from microsoft.com, it's only a one year trial, but i wouldn't recomment installing it, it might clash with other applications as they are all 32bit.
well i know why it is better but i dont know how to explain it i just have like a small idea in my head, might wanna wait for netryder to answer :D he knows all

member.php?u=1338sraycroz: That was VERY off topic. Why did you post in this thread?

Sinister: Your posts are very hard to follow, but let's hope I got this right. I'm not goind to address the issue with your boss not reaching the server at the moment, there is much more info needed for that.

You say that this is a small corporate that (at least partially) connect to the Internet through a wireless router, using the wirless? This is generally a very bad idea, unless the wireless network is very well configured. First of all you would have to turn on encryption to have any type of acceptable security. Just locking the SSID and MAC access won't do in my opinion. The encryption should be WPA, but WEP is better than nothing if you don't have WPA. This isn't easy to set up (I personally haven't worked with wireless, but I've heard), but very necessary. Otherwise anyone can access your connection and possibly internal data on the server (depending on server configuration).

So please encrypt the network.

On the other issue(s?), please give more complete information on the network and the configurations of the computers and server. Draw a diagram if you want to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back