A Few New Half Life 2 things

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
according to here at IGN half-life might be released in 3 versions and if you d/l it from steam you might pay on price to play or a monthly thing. all are still rumors of course. :)

Nope, it dosent come out Till november (prove me wrong people).

There are going to be 3 versions available. This is the quote from Gabe Newell, some guy at valve....

Gabe Newell: Here's my current thinking: Some people want to buy Half-Life 2 in a store. Right now we have three SKUs planned at three price points. One will have single-player only and not play MODs and we think of that as the mass market SKU (sold mainly at the Costcos and Walmarts of the world). The second is our traditional single-player plus multiplayer SKU that runs MODs and is sold at places like EBX. The third is the collector's edition SKU with lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff.

In the Steam world, some people will want to buy it once, like the middle SKU above. Other people will want to buy the game on subscription (e.g. $9.95/month). The good news for the "buy it once" crowd is, well, they only have to pay once. The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those. We're pretty sure that the $9.95 guys are going to get the better value, as we've been pretty good over the years at generating a lot of content.

Now nobody has done this before, so we're scratching our heads and massaging the plans to make sure we've got the best set of options. We've had some feedback that we should sell the top SKU (single-player only no MODs) on Steam, and my reaction has been "yeah, right, for the three people in the world who have a broadband connection, are sophisticated enough to purchase software over the Internet, but DON'T want to play MODs and multiplayer". Some people have said "I want a subscription, but I think the box and the manual are cool, so what about sending me those" and I think that's pretty interesting and we're trying to figure out what to do for them (needless to say Sierra isn't exactly jumping for joy at the idea of selling us boxes so people don't buy Half-Life 2 in stores).

But nowhere has there been a suggestion that people pay in the store and then pay a monthly fee on top of that a la the MMORPG.

that sounds "unbagelable, mmm bagel" - homer simpson (he's never said this, but i think it'd be funny)

seriously though, that sounds kinda weird, but cool.. i hate subscription fees (never gave much attention to those types), i always looked for the 'free online play sticker', but this sounds like your paying for the expansion pack, and then to play it online... so that sucks. i dont really know what to think. (im sure you've figured that out by reading this)

nothing is official yet.. so for now its still speculation. we'll just have to wait and see

i am gonna try and interview gabe over the next couple of days.
providing I can think up some non-daft questions ;)

my mate tells me that its been delayed again, till october??

no one honestly knows :(

(mailed gabe about 20 questions, that I hope haven't been asked before, I hope I get a reply)

EP... tell him you have this spanking new video card you want to put through its paces and are fed up playing solitaire on it with :D

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
i have moved on to spider solitaire.

:eek:

next thing you know... ep will be playing *gasp* MINESWEEPER...

omg...

/me runs and hides...

all of the suppliers the shop where i work say 'november' :(

no one knows whats going on with it and when it will be out

Doug Lombardi has been quoted as saying it will hit its september 30th release date. So offically, as of now, it's gonna be out september 30th. :cool:

Here

And here in more detail

Finally, obviously there's been a lot of talk about, and confusion surrounding, Half-Life 2's release date following statements from Vivendi. Can you confirm now whether you're still on track to hit the September 30 date?

DOUG LOMBARDI'S RESPONSE:

Lombardi: The release date's unchanged

I'll still believe it when i have a copy in my hand on the 28th :)

joys of working in a games shop :D

deliveries 2-3 days before street dates :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back