A driver kills my PC

Jimmill

OSNN Newbie
:confused: My pc seems to crash at the drop of a hat. Usually when screen redraws are happening in small areas (eg progress bars), sometimes when a small sound gets stuck in a loop in media player, sometimes when NAV or speed-disk are running.

The OCA console say s a device driver caused a problem but no idea which. Used to get a similar crash when a device called NEC smart vision was to blame. This was (Ithink) linked to a now abandoned TVcard. The problem stayed but the device is now unknown.

Any ideas?

PC is Athlon XP 2000 ATI radeon 700, NISYS sound -5.1, 768Mb RAM

BTW I have disabled Fast writes which I recall was a problem with an old PC running an Nvidia card.

welcome

No ideas I am afraid, but my sympathies and welcome to the forum :)

When you said ATI 700, did you mean 9700 in your post? Best to get the facts straight - I am sure others may have some ideas how to proceed on this one, I'd look into what drivers are new and try running your system cut down then adding bits back one at a time until you find the culprit....

Just because that TV Card is gone doesn't mean it's not still causing troubles. Make sure all the drivers have been removed and all registry entries from the card.

Run the uninstall for the all the card software if you haven't.
Then use a tool like system mechanic or regcleaner to delete left over registry entries (there are always tidbits left behind).
You should also uninstall your video drivers and then reinstall them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back