"A" Drive Problems

• Thread starter Strider Hiryu
  • Start date
S

Strider Hiryu

Ok, I haven't used my A drive in a very long time, but I today after trying to open up a disk, I got this error - " A:\ is not accessible. No ID mark was found on the floppy disk."

I remember long ago when I was running winME, I also got the same type of error message. I don't think it could be a bad drive, the computer is not even 2 years old yet, everything else still works fine. Is there anyway to fix this? My wife has just started a class, and needs to save things through the A drive. Any help would be appreciated.

check to make sure the connections in the back are connected tight, but floppy drives ain't worth working on, just but a new one, if it doesn't work.

Less than 10 bucks most places

cool.gif

Check if the drive cable is plugged in nicely, in the motherboard, and in the floppy drive itself. Make sure power is also plugged nicely. Floppy drives aren't really quality hardware, and are not worth working on. Get a new one, it's cheap. I'v seen them on sale for 8 bucks new at local store :)

Looks like the error is pointing to the actual floppy disk. Try another disk & see if it works.

yeah, i've never seen the "no id mark" error. something tells me it's not the cable. could be the drive, i suppose. you have tried other disks, right?

Yeah, I've tried several disks, all give the same error. I guess I can try to check the cable connections, but I'm kinda worried about tinkering within the tower itself, heh.

But knowing that these drives aren't that expensive makes me feel alot better if it does turn up a dud. Thanks for all your helps guys! :)

Sure thing. And don't worry, there isn't much to tinker with in the tower, just get a new floppy, take out the old one, and plug the existing cable into the new drive, connect the power, and you're set. No worries here, we aren't doing mobo transplants :). Hope all goes well Strider.

Floppy disc problem

Have had this problem many times, especially moving a floppy from one computer to another.
Try to format floppy by "quick format" and then paste file back in from desktop etc.
Should work, otherwise drive faulty but unlikely

A 12 speed CD re-writer is more than enough to replace the old A:/ floppy's:)

the floppy drive aint worth the trouble anymore.

True. Just cuz things are old doesn't mean you don't need them. I love my old stuff. :)

Floppy

I had trouble moving a floppy from one puter to another also was just a question of the cables being placed right, never seen that error before though , seen equipment configuration error, messing with the tower aint no big deal just look at it carefully first , make a mental image or even write stuff down ( not kidding) we all start somewhere, see if the cables are nice and tight , maybe unplug it and hook it up again.

ps: I am in favor of keeping floppy's alive, I have cdr-rw but somethings need that good old floppy !!!

I have over 1000 floppies. I don't know what to do with them...

hmm, you could always make a nifty floppy disk castle out of them!!

yeah, I guess I'll work up to courage to bust open the tower and take a look around. True, I can use some cd-rw's, but I also have ton of floppies, hehe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back