a diagnosis for my laptop please

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
k, this box is about three years old, still running strong but the battery now lasts about 10 minutes

I went to boot from hibernate this morning and nothing, a blip of lights for less then a second then nothing

I tried a few times and then thought maybe the battery shorted out since it was so bad so I removed that and plugged back in

still nothing

hmmm...I had no indication of a pending failure so I would be surprised if anything was actually bad, maybe a seating or something came loose but I should still get the basic operating system on screen but no

so I have my breakfast for about 10 minutes and as a lark I hit the power button and bing, it's booting

nothing unusual at all with the boot from hibernate

desktop looks fine, I go on line and the browser is light greenish blue

hmmm

I close IE down to see if everything is blue but no, just the browser

I'm thinking some thing's screwed and I am going to have to go home to get my other laptop but I am going to use this till it fries

then gradually, imperceptive, the blue eventually disappears

memory?

the flourescent backlight running too cold could produce a greenish color shift. Also, other info you provided point towards a power problem, though it's hard to say exactly what.

If you are into science projects:
Check the voltage on the battery with it out of the case. If it is charged it should be some multiple of 3.6 Vdc depending on how many cells there are in series.

If the battery is dead/low the voltage will be less than 3.6V per cell but probably not that much below normal. In this case the laptop voltage regulator/charger or external brick may be failing. You can charge the pack externally (provided you have a curent limited power source and are very careful). Check the pack rating 2200 maHr, etc. and charge at a current of no more than 1/2 the rated (1.1 Adc for a 2200 maHr pack). Stop when the number of cells x 3.7Vdc is reached. You need to go higher in voltage to get a full charge on the battery pack but this is a test only and Lithium batteries can do bad things if over charged (or shorted). Put the pack back in the laptop and see if it behaves ok. If all looks good the laptop external power brick is likely bad.

If one cell is shorted/dead the pack voltage will be low by ~3.6Vdc. In this case toss the pack (in an environmeatally friendly way) unless it has replaceable cells. But even then I'd toss the whole pack since of one died the others are suspect.

If the above two checks get you nowhere it is likely the laptop internal PSU.

the flourescent backlight running too cold could produce a greenish color shift. Also, other info you provided point towards a power problem, though it's hard to say exactly what.

If you are into science projects:
Check the voltage on the battery with it out of the case. If it is charged it should be some multiple of 3.6 Vdc depending on how many cells there are in series.

If the battery is dead/low the voltage will be less than 3.6V per cell but probably not that much below normal. In this case the laptop voltage regulator/charger or external brick may be failing. You can charge the pack externally (provided you have a curent limited power source and are very careful). Check the pack rating 2200 maHr, etc. and charge at a current of no more than 1/2 the rated (1.1 Adc for a 2200 maHr pack). Stop when the number of cells x 3.7Vdc is reached. You need to go higher in voltage to get a full charge on the battery pack but this is a test only and Lithium batteries can do bad things if over charged (or shorted). Put the pack back in the laptop and see if it behaves ok. If all looks good the laptop external power brick is likely bad.

If one cell is shorted/dead the pack voltage will be low by ~3.6Vdc. In this case toss the pack (in an environmeatally friendly way) unless it has replaceable cells. But even then I'd toss the whole pack since of one died the others are suspect.

If the above two checks get you nowhere it is likely the laptop internal PSU.
I think you hit the nail right on the head then, temperatire must be the problem, I left the laptop in my car through the snow storm

as far as power, again I know the battery is bad, I've been putting off getting a new pack since the lap is so old, now that you mention in, probably a very week transformer from the ac is weak as well, thanx leejend, I think you got it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back