A couple of Questions for Home XP

M

Mike89

A couple of things that were easy to see in 98, I can't find them in XP.

Hitting ctrl-alt-del on 98 shows programs running. Hit this in Xp doesn't. How do I see that?

I wanted to keep track of resources and compare 98 to XP in this area. In 98, easy to see percentage of resources available. Can't find that in XP. How?

I deleted some screen savers but they still show up in the screensavers list? How do I get them out of there?

page file

wooohooooo..... welcome to the page file system baby! Like alec said this is much better. Put it to you this way... i tried to crash xp and couldnt. I went and opened every program and and thing i could find. I probably had around 40 windows open and still ran smooth as could be. Amazing! The fixed memory segment crap they had in 9x/ME was a big draw back, especially with the internet popup ads the way they are.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that info, I eat this stuff up. I am a long time Windows 95/98 guy. Never had any experience with NT/2000/XP OS's.

So far I like what I see. I am still getting used to it, finding new things and trying to tweak the system to what I want. I have been pretty successful in getting 98 to run very leaned out with about the best performance I could get out of it.

I'm looking to do the same thing with XP.

Right now I am contemplating the System Restore thing. Trying to decide if I want it and if it actually works right if ever needed. Do you know if disabling it would affect the 'rollback' driver feature? That I definitely want in there.

I have my work computer set up with one 20 Gig HDD, split evenly into two partitions. I had been using partition one with the OS and all programs. Using partition 2 strictly for cloning the first partition over with Ghost once a month for backup. If I continue to keep doing this, why would I still need System Restore?

Also, the screensavers continue to stay in the list after deleting them. You mention the file protection maybe keeping them in the list. So how I get them out of the list?

That should NOT be happening... unless your System File Protection cache is protecting them! Once you delete an .SCR extensioned file, it should be gone! I can only guess that system file protection in XP is restoring them on you!

It is protected. I jsut tried it out on one of my many worthless default SS's, and this is what Event Viewer reported...

---------------------
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: 64002
Date: 12/28/2001
Time: 4:41:32 PM
User: N/A
Computer: <deleted>
Description:
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file c:\windows\system32\ssstars.scr. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system file is 5.1.2600.0.
---------------------

So thats figured out :D

Right now I am contemplating the System Restore thing. Trying to decide if I want it and if it actually works right if ever needed. Do you know if disabling it would affect the 'rollback' driver feature? That I definitely want in there.

Good question, one I'll need to put on my list of things to find :D .

IMO, For right now, it would be safe to assume that Driver Rollback is related to System Restore in some way or another, but of course, I cant confirm that right now. I'd try it out, but I've got stuff thats been open and running for days now that I dont want to shut down for reboot right at the moment. Someone else is going to have to be the guinea pig this time :D

Mike89, since your still learning about XP, and seem to have the tweaking bug, I'd recommend you keep SR on for now, in case you do something stupid (like all tweakers do at one point or another and live to regret it :D ). Once you get used to how things work, and your system is working the way you want it to, then you could consider shutting down SR. Its saved my bacon more than a few times, and am glad its there. Of course, thats just me. The choice is obviously up to you. IMO, the insurance it provides may far outweigh the unnoticable performance hit, should you ever need it ;)

Hope this helps.

Well that's sure not figured out for me!

I want to know how to get rid of them. Are you saying that once a screensaver is put in, it has to be there forever? That's ludicrous!

There has got to be a way to get rid of them.

Originally posted by AlecStaar

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

SFCDisable turns off the System File Checker's protection of those files I believe...

* Turn that to a true/1 value there & see if you can delete those & not have them return!

:)

APK

P.S.=> You will have to change it & reboot, then try delete them... apk

But would they return once SFP is turned back on? Or are you recommending keeping SFP off permanently?

Originally posted by AlecStaar

They probably would... I know there's a way to remove files from its lists... but I have to find it!

Brb with that hopefully... I just KNOW there's a file that works like layout.ini does, but in the registry for that, lists of files that are protected by SFC, which if we find it? You can selectively trim!

* :)

APK

I used to know where this was in W2K, but it doesnt seem to be in the same place in XP. I believe W2K actually kept copies of the files in storage, but I cant remember exactly if this was just the driver cache or not. I dont think I've messed with that since W2K beta 2 :D , so I might be totally off the wall on this one :rolleyes: :D

I appreciate you guys trying to help on this one. I have to just sit back and watch so I don't f-ck up anything! Jeez. It's a bummer being ignorant! Heh heh.

Why the file protection would include screensavers is a mind blower to me. What is this, an oversight on Microsoft's part here? Has a bug been discovered here?

Originally posted by Mike89
I appreciate you guys trying to help on this one. I have to just sit back and watch so I don't f-ck up anything! Jeez. It's a bummer being ignorant! Heh heh.

Why the file protection would include screensavers is a mind blower to me. What is this, an oversight on Microsoft's part here? Has a bug been discovered here?

Dont worry, we all screw up from time to time. We were (i.e.- still are at times :D ) all ignorant with computers at one time. Be glad theres forums like this to learn from. I had me, myself, a couple of books, and I, to teach me how to run computers from the inside out. Sometimes I think I've forgotten more than I now know :D .

As far as the file protection and screensavers, its not a bug, its probably a feature :D . Personally, I really wouldnt worry about it. .scr files take up minimal amounts of space, you probably wouldnt notice the difference. Just leave the SS disabled.

Keep watching, learning, and inevitably, screwing up :D

We learn by doing, I guess...

OK. I admit I didn't read every single word of this post.
But when wanted to get rid of those unwanted SCR's, even when the uninstall did not work for exe installations, I just went to System 32, or wherever they ended up, and deleted the .scr file. They disappeared from my Display options.

Hmm. I tried that and it didn't work. I got an error message saying it could not be deleted because either it was write protected or in use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back