A ? about adding a 2nd hard drive

R

rj2

by adding a 2nd hd as slave on the same controller as the master drive affect performance at all,of the master drive,which is a new wd 8mb cache.
thnx

rj2: That is one hell of a "runon" sentance. I does not make any sense. I have an idea of what you are trying to ask, but so that I don't waste time, can you rephrase it?

He wants to know if adding a slave HD will affect the overall performance of his master. The only way i can see that happening is if the voltage required by the new drive is so high that it drops the overall voltage. i had that happen to me with my USB ports after adding a 127GB slave. But I simply installed a powered USB hub. I hope this answers the question.

thnx for replies,and i apologize for my bad sentencing structure.roban answered my ?.i dont think i have to worry about voltage drops,as i run two psu`s in my case.
enermax 350 main,250 for cathodes & fans,and pump relay switch for water pump

some people say that the whole ide chanel will run at the speed of the slowest drive on the channel. i don't believe this. for instance, if you have an ata133 master... and connect an ata100 slave, your ata133 drive will now be running at ata100. but like i siad, i don't think this is true. xp picks up both drives running at their respective speeds.

though, i can believe that it is a little more efficient if both drives are the same speed... so the controller doesn't have to switch modes when going from one hd to the other.

anyone know for sure or have evidence?

Originally posted by taurus
some people say that the whole ide chanel will run at the speed of the slowest drive on the channel. i don't believe this.

Some people say that?
It is repeated over and over again. I don't believe it either (not a hardware expert, though).

The ability of an IDE/ATA channel to operate a master and slave device using different transfer modes is called independent device timing. The hard disk controllers integrated on modern chipsets all pretty much support independent timing

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf.htm

:)

You won't see any performance degradation. The "slowest drive decides" has been true for a long time, but it seems newer chipsets can handle different speeds (like yoyo said). It takes time for the masses to relearn a negated fact like this one. :)

That might be a problem with some PIO and UDMA devices, but not with HD's. And ATA 66, ATA100, or ATA133 makes no difference as no HD can even exceed the ATA66 spec yet. But an ATA100 or ATA133 drive will perform better than an ATA66 drive simply because of newer technology.

Originally posted by Zedric
You won't see any performance degradation. The "slowest drive decides" has been true for a long time, but it seems newer chipsets can handle different speeds (like yoyo said). It takes time for the masses to relearn a negated fact like this one. :)
newer chipsets? my 3-year-old kt133 board supports it. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back