£99 - Dell Poweredge 1600SC IDE

Awww EP you are tempting me to give myself a Christmas present :eek:

the thing is family already bought me a second head up 19" TFT, so how could I hide this away and still run the CAT5 to it? ;) Any ideas anyone? Park it in the loft with a wi-fi card? Or would the dust kill it?

Looks like a nice deal even when you convert it from your crazy UK money to USD .. ~$190.

You bet me too it EP
Was going to post that too.
I am thinking of buying 2 and salvaging all the extras from the second one like cpu and ram etc :D
Does nvidia make or going to make a geforce for pci-x 64bit?

VERY nice deal. Better jump on it soon before Dell realizes they made a mistake on the pricing.

eh oh - tried link to buy - and got this (see attachment) maye they already took it down? Anyone got one OK? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DellOffer.jpg
    DellOffer.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 153
Doubt it.
Dell can cancel your order if they have made a mistake.
Hope it is still on offer though :D

I don't think the price is an error, just very good.

It only has one processor, 256 ram, one ide hard drive, no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor etc.

All will be revealed when the technical glitch is resolved tho!

Marci from over-clock.co.uk just had an ace idea.
Buy two and merge them into a half decent server!!
Quality :p

Link should come back up I guess, looks like they are actively working on it. Either way, I could most likely get one thru work (all our kit is dell) but I really can't justify buying a server for home use.

haha, does dual processors help folding?
Was just talking at work and perhaps 2+ redundant Dell PSUs might make enough noise to keep me awake at night!

10 SCSI 320 hdds would tho :D

Latest......"

The page you requested may no longer exist on Dell.com

There may be a misspelling in the URL you have entered
The page or file you are looking for has been moved, retired or is no longer available"

Electronic Punk said:
haha, does dual processors help folding?
Was just talking at work and perhaps 2+ redundant Dell PSUs might make enough noise to keep me awake at night!

10 SCSI 320 hdds would tho :D

LOL yes indeedy

but they could fold when you were out

anddual processors does indeed help - you can run two folding clients - one on each thereby getting double output (think you have to use Linux client maybe for that - not sure might be in latest XP too)

ARSE! Just got back from work, would of snapped two of these up no questions asked had I been at home. Quite understandable that they've sold out though, heh.

SPeedY_B said:
ARSE! Just got back from work, would of snapped two of these up no questions asked had I been at home. Quite understandable that they've sold out though, heh.
We're in the same bag ol' boy :( Really wanted a couple of 'em, but only found out too late.

SPeedY_B said:

see my earlier post - I highly doubt you would have got one (I tried and there were none) - I am guessing they publish a link like this and the first visitor is going to be a Dell staffer - maybe the one that made the page even? - and then after they have sold the ONE at that price down comes the page....

Just me and my cynical mind - but there is no such thing as a free lunch and if something looks too good to be true then it probably is.....

Having said that I can see a time when this offer will come to pass - after all you can pick up PIII systems ready to go (and they are workeable as servers) for this price or less now... and look what they cost once

Actually, it was a real deal, Mainframeguy. Look at the top-most update on this news story:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20137

Dell does tend to come out with these crazy deals now and then (they're like the Microsoft of the hardware world...they can afford to). Remember the $750 off coupon on Inspiron notebooks? That was another big one. People ordered in huge numbers, which is why they had to close the deal a day early. I'm quite sure it was the same case with this one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back