9800 XT wow

Terrahertz

Extinction Agenda
Political Access
I really thought there was a post about this card but I couldn't find one. I must say Im pretty impressed and this is what Im going to upgrade from my TI4400 to. My friend bought his lastnight and I installed it for him. This thing felt like it weighed two LBs and what a beautiful layout of the board. Nice Fan assembly and very cool copper heatsink setup. Like most of you know already the heatsink covers not just the GPU but the ram in the front and back.
Well He had a sparkling new 19"Samsung flat panel multisync and the card and the monitor exchanged vows with a smile. Beau-ti-ful:D . Didnt run any benchmarks or anything yet but we did throw NFSU at it which is a DX9 game and Lord my eyes teared at the love of max resolution and max graphics. I wanted to see May Payne 2 but he lent it out, He should have it back today so Im sure another run through would be in favor:). Hmm I didnt see the overdrive menu maybe I missed it but from what Ive been reading on web reviews its not worth it if your an overclocker. So much Power its like night and day with this card. By the way he upgraded from a GF2 TI to this beast.

max payne2 should run fine...

I could run it maxed out with all details on my old system :)

but yah its a good card... just not worth upgrading for me @ the moment... I'll wait till next year sometime...

i'm glad the newest game i play is bf1942+mods so i don't feel compelled to go get a newer card. my ti4200-8x does max detail at 1280x1024 just fine.

some AA and AF sure would be nice, though... :(

i ordered one of these a few days ago, it's part of my new system, i've already received my athlon 64 and abit kv8-max3 mobo, just waiting for this card, WD 36.7gb s-ata raptor, 1gb kingston pc3200 400mhz ram and a 17" lg tft so it better be good!

Trust me Macromp the card is that good. Everything is running at max on this card and looking at your specs it will be more than happy show you.

got my new comp sorted today (apart from the hdd) and wow! been running call of duty at 1600x1200 and it looks VERY nice! no slowdown at all, makes quite a big difference from my geforce 3 ti200

Definatly, you don't realise what you are missing until you actually experience it.

I have a Sapphire Radeon9800XT, but I have the pain of not being able to install it until christmas day :( .

only 8 days left and I can have the beauty!..... I am upgrading from a GeForce4 MX 440 64MB.... think how much of a difference I am going to notice

:p :p :p

I have an ATi Radeon 9700 pro, and it's about a year old. Still hasn't ceased to amaze me, really. I love it to death. *hugs case*

/ We interrupt "Hardware with Black-Syth" due to technical difficulties

*moaning/wet noises in backround*

think how much of a difference I am going to notice

it's crazy, i started halo up first after installing and when you look around it's one continuous smooth view as oppose to moving the mouse and the damn thing jerking round the view, it's crazy...totally wasn't used to it at all, i think i'd gotten all i could out of my gf3 ti200

edit: sig needs updating!

i wanna get one but tooo much money being spent! soon maybe or even after a new ati hits the streets it wasnt a while ago i was saying the same about the 9700 pro lol

So get the 9700 PRO now, It's gotten almost reasonable and isn't that much slower.

Always buy last years technology today:
Bugs worked out.
Cost is 50-60% of new stuff.
And it makes you look humble...

no i only get the best when i buy, sorry just the way i am with technology

Yes, I am like that too, because I am not a hardcore modder and I don't update my system all the time. I buy the best spec which is available and don't upgrade for about 2 years because the component lasts. Then, when I do upgrade, it's alot more exciting, whereas if I brought a cheaper component, but every few months, it would get pretty boring I think!

Unless you are mega-rich, or Bill Gates' son or something... then you just get the best thing, but every month!

:D

Originally posted by MJS
Yes, I am like that too, because I am not a hardcore modder and I don't update my system all the time. I buy the best spec which is available and don't upgrade for about 2 years because the component lasts. Then, when I do upgrade, it's alot more exciting, whereas if I brought a cheaper component, but every few months, it would get pretty boring I think!

Unless you are mega-rich, or Bill Gates' son or something... then you just get the best thing, but every month!

:D
but by buying a 9700pro over a 9800xt, you'll have to upgrade, what, a couple months sooner?
it's only like 10% slower... you won't need to upgrade in a month. instead of lasting 2 years, it will last 20 months. and you'll save a lot of cash. know what i'm saying?

you wouldn't need to upgrade your 9700 pro in a few months. that's crazy. if that was the case, you'd need to upgrade your 9800xt in four.

Yeah, I suppose so, but the natural instinct for me and maybe most other people, is to get the better, faster and more up-to-date with anything. This instinct is limited usually by budget in most cases, but I had the budget available, so I followed 'the instinct'.

Think of it like this: (im not sure whether you are an Intel or AMD fan, but I will use Intel as the example :rolleyes: ). Say you wanted a new Pentium Processor, you looked at a 2.4 and a 2.8. The speeds aren't that much apart but getting the 2.8 would mean a faster model and also, paying more. IF you had enough for the 2.8, you would get the 2.8 right? but if you were under budget for the 2.8, you would get 2.4. (and you cant start speaking about 'oh, I can overclock the 2.4 faster than the 2.8' because the same thing applies for the 2.8, 'it can be overclocked to a 3.2 speed' or whatever)----- this is just an example, there probably are other exceptions, but this is basically what I mean by the budget limits.

Thats the case with my graphics card, I had the budget to buy, so I got it, if I didn't have enough money, then possibly 9600XT or FX5600ultra it would have been. It's just a case of budget in most cases.

I'm not saying the 'lower-spec' radeons are crap, but 9800XT is definately better and improved, so having the budget meant that I purchased it.

:p

whoa, i think i pretty much explained it.. and in that short space, i invented 'the instinct' theory :D

your point was basically, "faster hardware is better." to which, i agree.

but paying 30% more for something that's 10% faster isn't always wise. especially on things that get replaced more often anyway (cpu, video card). that's my point.
:)

but newer technology is always better. if i build a new system, i make sure the motherboard has a very recent chipset and the latest revision. the motherboard should outlast the cpu and video card you initially put in it.

Update.
He just bought an Creative Audugy 2 ES. which has Rainbow Six and Tomb Raider AOD. *whistles* My God the Graphics:eek:
The water and light reflection off the ground in AOD is a sight to behold. Its a shame the game is lame. She moves like a damn manequin. Rainbow Six I humbly bow.

Originally posted by Terrahertz
The water and light reflection off the ground in AOD is a sight to behold. Its a shame the game is lame.
haha. :D

sucks when developers put too much work into one aspect of a game and not enough into another.

Woo!

Installed my 9800XT today at last!

I am quite amazed really at how well everything runs compared to the old card. I was a bit disappointed in places though. Especially with Vietcong. It runs really crap, with no AA or AF and Vsync disabled. Well, I suppose it doesn't run too crap, it is smooth most of the time, but I still get annoying frame drops when I turn round sometimes and the frame rate is about 20fps at the first part of the game when you arrive at the camp (not sure how many of you have played VC).

I have the Cat 3.8s installed which came with the card. In the driver setup, should I have things like 'Texture Preference' on high and that? Because I have everything on high just without AA, AF or Vsync but Vietcong and also Americas Army, during the first special forces training run pretty bad so I am a little disappointed. I was expecting to just set it up and play mega-smooth games but this isn't the case :eek:

any advice?

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back