9800 XT wow

I'm not a graphics master but I would think that the problem is in the way the game was programmed rather then in your card not having the power ... a card can have all the power in the world and w/ bad code to run its not going to be up to its full potential.

I suppose no different then thinking of a windows app being stuck @ 100% CPU when you have the latest and greatest CPU that _should_ run anything and everything. :D

hhmm... good point,

But, a few weeks ago, when I was deciding which card to get, I came across a review showing Vietcong being played on the 9800XT card and the benchmarks were fine..... 60+fps with AA and AF.... Seems strange, maybe I will have to reduce some of the card's quality settings.

I am surprised about MOH:AA though. With my old GF4 MX440, I used to have to run it on med/low settings and it still wasnt solid smoothness. Now, I play with everything on high and max, 4x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Anisotrpic filtering and the in-game fps meter is still trying to break double figures (the game allows for only 2 figures to be displayed, so 99.99 is the max). On the old card, running with 4x AA and 2x AF made the game run at about 5-20fps

:D

I might try updating to the cat 3.10's ... they are on the ATI site now and they don't seem to be beta anymore

I'm running 3.10's right now ... I havn't bench'd them yet but I havn't noticed anything wrong w/ them either :)

Thats cool then.

I am about to download the new drivers, but the install suggestion says you should uninstall the old drivers, restart the PC, install the new ones then restart again... do you HAVE to do this?

With my old geforce card on the Detonator drivers, I used to open the new driver installer from the website and install, then restart and it worked fine

From my own experience and from what I have read w/ ATI drivers you only have to uninstall the "ATI Control Panel" and then you can install the new drivers right over the old no problem :)

O well, too late, I did it the advised way.

Sadly, no performance difference with VC. I don't have any AA or AF enabled, its just the basic game, it runs smooth sort of but when I get to bushes and that, it gets all laggy. I try reducing the quality settings, but that results in the image quality being worse, but the performance being no better :(.

I thought the 9800XT was supposed to be great with D3D and DX9.... it handles the DX8 pixel shaders fine because it runs MOH:AA and CoD without any problems and with AA and AF enabled to a high level, but VC seems to run very badly... maybe an uninstall and re-install will sort it :eek:

Well for one your memory is not that fast. second your soundcard is bleeding frames from your game. Do some tweaking in the control panel. Your game might need some tweaking just for it. Every game does not run the same on a general setting so youll have mess with your in game settings and the ATI control panel to see what works for vietcon. The person who posted great scores probably had a totally different rig to yours. Also if your overclocking turn off overdrive.

Well, I don't think there is any point at all overclocking the card when there is totally no need to at all.

I did in the end discover that my soundcard is causing the problems so I lowered the acceleration and bit rate quality, which did improve the framerate some, but I have a funny feeling that the performance could be increased quite a bit more if I knew how to tweak it perfect.

I see your memory went from 21 to 27. Good move.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back