9800 PRO vs 5900XT

AudioSlayer

OSNN Addict
what should i buy......

1.SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO (209.00)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268&depa=1

2.GAINWARD nVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-185&depa=1

I am looking for good image quality and I want something that play farcry on all the high settings. If i go with the 9800 pro I will flash it to the xt. If the get the Nvidia i will overclock it to the utral. I want to be able to play hl2 doom3 and farcry. I am currently running....
Amd Althon 3200+
Ati radeon 9600
512 3200 ram
120 gig hard drive
audigy 2

9800pro...

btw you can only flash if you are lucky enough to have a 256mb card afaik... and it meets certain requirements... best chances are with the sapphire card but not the 128mb version you listed... the XT is a 256mb card...

There is a 128meg version of the XT bios, but it will only work with 9800pros with the r360 core. This link
from the ocuk forums covers everything you need to know.

You have to remove the cooler on the card to check what it says on core, but most Sapphire ones use the r360 core, but you still need to check just in case its a r350 core. I just took my cooler of my Built By Ati 9800pro and its a r360 core, but on some software I used it said it was a r350, so taking off the cooler is the true way of telling.

Flashed my 9800pro to a XT, but kept clock speeds at stock 9800pro for now. My 3dmarks 03 score went up 275 marks. :) Which is nice seeing as its not running at XT speeds.

The link to my new score vs my old score can be found here

neither project is showing up as valid... dbl check links...

so R350 and R360 has no performance difference at stock speed, right? the only difference is the overclockability, isn't it?

The main difference between the r350 and r360 is that the r360 has optimisations for PS 2 that the XT use. Which is the reason you can't flash a r350 based 9800pro as it missing the optimisations that the XT bios use for PS 2.

edit: Just reflashed my bios with a different one because I was getting artifacts in the mother nature test in 3dmark03, but with this new bios I get none and my score now is 6049 3dmarks.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2612497

i have the all in wonder 9800 pro..
can i still flash the bios to make it a 9800 XT (if i got the r360 chipset)???..or does it not work on the all in wonder cards?

I don't think you can flash a AIW 9800Pro to XT as there isn't a AIW XT

Where'd you find that BIOS update for the 9800 Pro, I got an ATI board and I'd like to try it.

I am leaning towads the 5900Xt becasue its a gainward (stock speed almost to a 5900) People on newegg.com said that it runs faster in farcry and in need for speed underground the image quality is better. I want to be able to play with aa on. Benchmarks say with aa on that nvidia wins and i also like the driver feature in nvidia where when you open a game it turn aa on fir a certian game and off for others. Should i still go with ati? and why?

That gainward is not stock speed, it just comes already overclocked. The stock 5900xt speed is 390mhz. Also you can't go by what people on newegg say, as that's just their personal opinion and not a fact backed up by benchmarks. If you are planing to play halflife 2 when it comes out the only way to go is ATI imo, as it has been optimised for ATI cards. As for aa I can all games on high with 4xAA and 8xAF with my 9800pro/XT and most of them are run at 1280x1024.

Why not get a a new ATI X800 XT or the cheaper X800 Pro they are now available for purchase on the ATI site. If your budget does not allow it you could wait a couple of weeks untill they release the X600 series of cards there will be 2 versions of these cards available as well, the X600 XT and the X600 Pro. IMO you would have a newer series card that would give you more time before the next upgrade.

the x800 pro is available in some places and bestbuy has it on sale @ $399 pre-order (either shipping already or very very soon)

I would certainly suggest getting that if you can afford it :)

almost 1.5x-2x performance of the 9800pro :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back