• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

9800 Pro too expensive?

#1
I see a 9700 Pro on Pricewatch for a minimum price of $229 and a 9800 Pro for a minimum of $302 at the time of this posting). I'm debating on buying one of the two so I ask this: Does the 9800 Pro's performance warrant a 31% price increase?

On my budget, I can't even think about an XT! :wah:
 
#2
Is $300 too much for a video card? Hell yes!

Is the 9800 Pro 30% faster than a 9700 pro? Not really

Having bought a 9500 Pro last spring would I drop the extra $75 for the 9800 pro if I could change my mind right now. HELL YES!

I seem to be having some compatibility problems with the latest radeon drivers, my computer and the 9500 pro. Works like a dream with the older 3.4 drivers. That leaves me a little nervous about how long the 9700 PRO will be rock solid. Based on what I've seen on my system I think the 9600 PRO is going to be weak as games go "MORE" DX9 next spring.

That leaves the 9800 PRO as the option of choice. Do it! Give up coffee and cookies or cigarettes or whatever for few months to fund the extra $75.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#3
Originally posted by HandyBuddy
I see a 9700 Pro on Pricewatch for a minimum price of $229 and a 9800 Pro for a minimum of $302 at the time of this posting). I'm debating on buying one of the two so I ask this: Does the 9800 Pro's performance warrant a 31% price increase?

On my budget, I can't even think about an XT! :wah:
not really... the performance increase is around 5-10% in most cases..

correlate that and go from there..
 
#4
Re: Re: 9800 Pro too expensive?

Originally posted by Sazar
not really... the performance increase is around 5-10% in most cases..

correlate that and go from there..
From what I've seen, not even 5%. The 9800s aren't a huge leap over the 9700s.


In reply to #1

I believe that the extra cash isn't worth it when it comes to the performance difference. Sure, the extra power doesn't hurt, only if you're willing to dish out the cash. Your call really.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#5
Re: Re: Re: 9800 Pro too expensive?

Originally posted by black-syth
From what I've seen, not even 5%. The 9800s aren't a huge leap over the 9700s.


In reply to #1

I believe that the extra cash isn't worth it when it comes to the performance difference. Sure, the extra power doesn't hurt, only if you're willing to dish out the cash. Your call really.
depends on the situation :)

there are some tweaks to the marchitecture that allow for improvements in some areas... not all benchmarks or applications will show the same increases however... which is why I put a variance instead of a standard figure...
 

Xie

- geek -
#7
yeah i would go w/ the 9800 if you can afford $75 more ... also i would run the 3.7 cats instead of the "newest" drivers for a bit from what i've seen/read.
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#8
the latest drivers work fine :)

if you do have problems there is hotfix that fixes the problems people are having (incl call of duty and the all-in-wonder OGL fix)
 

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,962
Messages
673,240
Members
89,017
Latest member
loxioalix