9700 Pro performance not what it should be?

Eck

.user
I just installed my 9700 Pro today. I installed the Catalyst 3.0 driver, the control panel, and DirectX 9. First problems I'm having in 3D applications are weird horizontal lines. In 3DMark 2001 SE, I get split second lines across the monitor, as if the picture isn't lined up. I'm guessing this has something to do with vertical sync?

Second, I only received a 11323 in 3DMark 2001 SE. What to do...

if upgrading from anything it is always a good idea to completely reformat your hard drive, secondly which way did you install the drivers etc, DX9 -> Cat3.0 -> Control Pannel sould make everything work fine. Also is ur CPU overclocked, and if so how. By increasing the FSB (i think) the speed of the PCI and AGP slots is also, this can have an adverse effect also.

Hope it helps, although Sazar is probly the person u want to talk to.

I installed it Catalyst, control panel, DX9 in that order. CPU isn't overclocked. And like I said in a post in the drivers section, I don't plan on reformatting because it takes too much time to get everything back.

i think it may be due to the way you installed DX9, cause M$ stuff does weird things like that. For example I cant even get DX9 to install on my machine. Anyway try installing DX9 the drivers.

I say this (correct me if im wrong) cause when you install drivers they look for certain elements in the OS ect, if they are'nt there it could cause negative effects on the running of hardware. BTW how is 'real' gaming, is it up to your expectations or waht reviews have said, if so then ignore 3dMark cause its only a synthetic benchmark.

Ok, so I should reinstall the catalyst drivers? As for real gaming, only thing I've tested out is the Splinter Cell demo that I have, and the framerates are only 40-ish... but the demo IS buggier than hell. I'll try some other games...

Originally posted by OTE
i think it may be due to the way you installed DX9, cause M$ stuff does weird things like that. For example I cant even get DX9 to install on my machine. Anyway try installing DX9 the drivers.

I say this (correct me if im wrong) cause when you install drivers they look for certain elements in the OS ect, if they are'nt there it could cause negative effects on the running of hardware. BTW how is 'real' gaming, is it up to your expectations or waht reviews have said, if so then ignore 3dMark cause its only a synthetic benchmark.

people like synthetic, take boobs for example :p

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5862729 :huh:

It's exactly the same as another person with the configurations as me. WTF could be keeping the score so low? Couldn't be the RAM since I've got DDR 3200. Could it possibly be my motherboard? And would "write combining" have anything to do with my line problem? Or perhaps AGP fast write?

SAZAR, c'mon man, WHERE ARE YA?

This worked for a friend of mine, though he had been playing around with his drivers: make sure Trueform is disabled. I think it is by default, but it's the only thing I can suggest.

TRUFORM is disabled on mine, by default. I haven't tried turning it on though...

I used to have that line problem, but that only lasted a few weeks. If I was you, I would reformat. This way you can be sure that everything will work as it is supposed to. I hate to reformat, but after I do it everything works better.

Originally posted by Jz1397-4
were you replacing an nvidia card with it?

Yeah.

And Pythro, it only lasted a few weeks? Until you formatted? Or did it just go away?

okies :)

um... reading through your stuff... I think it is redundant drivers conflicting possibly...

but you may also just have gotten a bad card :)

the line problem you are describing could be corruption due to various reasons.. such as vsync... dunno if fast writes are going to affect the card...

something I regularly suggest :) is to place the card in another system and see how it performs... IF it is working fine in anohter system we can take one thing @ a time with your setup because we will have eliminated one problem :)

concerning the redundant drivers... I would HIGHLY recommend completely removing all registry calls to the nvidia drivers you had... I am sure someone here can give you links to a registry cleaner that will do just that... also uninstall all your ati software...

once you have cleaned both... install a fresh set of cat 3.0a drivers with dx9 :) and voila... if the card is NOT the problem (read previous paragraphs) then this will aid you somewhat...

for benchmarking... look in your video cards control panel and see how high your AA and FSAA is set... by default there is a certain amount turned on... this gives better visual details but lower performance... check those settings as well... most people bench @ performance with no aa and fsaa enabled :)

things would be easier to solve if you formatted but I understand why you are not :) and we will try and help you work around that..

g.luck

Well Sazar, I definately don't think it's a bad card. Everything is perfect except for a few things. For example, I get around 100 FPS in the nature game in 3D Mark SE 2001. Yet, in games, I get performance barely better than my GeForce 2?

I've checked all the direct3d settings and whatnot. I've tried setting them high and low.

I'll definately try the driver and registry stuff.

Edit: And if that doesn't work, I'll format. ARGH. :mad:

Originally posted by Eck
Well Sazar, I definately don't think it's a bad card. Everything is perfect except for a few things. For example, I get around 100 FPS in the nature game in 3D Mark SE 2001. Yet, in games, I get performance barely better than my GeForce 2?

I've checked all the direct3d settings and whatnot. I've tried setting them high and low.

I'll definately try the driver and registry stuff.

Edit: And if that doesn't work, I'll format. ARGH. :mad:

lol... I didnt realise formatting was so painful :)

but g.luck m8...

then thats your problem, when you switch from nvidia to ati you usually have problems.formatting will fix all of that. you can remove it from the control pannel, but it will still be there interfering with your 9700pro.

OK, I'm going to format. :mad: Perhaps tonight.

Just for the record, in what order should I install these key components?

XP SP1
Catalyst driver
ATI control panel
DirectX 9
VIA 4 in 1 drivers

Originally posted by Jz1397-4
i would say:
Directx9
catalyst
control pannel
VIA
sp1

yah but install win xp sp1 before you install this stuff :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back