9600pro opengl problem

D

Dexter

Hi!

The problem is that i get a very low frame rate and bad picture in opengl games (QuakeIII: urban terror and Jedi academy).
I have a Sapphire 9600 pro atlantis and catalyst 3.6.
Any ideas.

And agp-stuckture something is aktiv.

try updating your drivers, the newest catalyst is 3.9

agp-stuckture something is aktiv.

dunno what that is...

when you say bad picture are you getting texture tearing or flashing textures/checkerboard pattern ?

you should not really have a problem with the card and driver version you have..

try dling the latest cats... 3.9's and see if this fixes some stuff for you... newer catalyst drivers tend to have bug fixes...

yes im getting texture tearing and very low frame rate lower than with my old tnt 2. I will try a newer version of catalyst nad see what happens.

Originally posted by Dexter
yes im getting texture tearing and very low frame rate lower than with my old tnt 2. I will try a newer version of catalyst nad see what happens.

hmm.. check and see your vsync status in your control panel if you can... look under the OGL tab in your control panel in cat 3.6...

it is set on off is that right? I tested 3.8 gave me a few extra farmes but the the whole screen went blue in blue light i the game

try sticking it on.. should eliminate the tearing...

Sorry to be asking so many quesstions
but im stuck.

after changeing the vsync nothing realy happend the frame rate is still about 20 fps in academy.
i'm pretty confident that this is a drivers issue. so im going to download the lastest drivers(56k it will be fun). And see where i can go from there.

A buddy is running HW2 which is open GL on the 9600 PRO and loving it so its not the card.

Was your old card an nvidia by any chance? You need to make sure you get all the old drivers out. Check guru3d or rage3d for detonator removal tools. "Detonator Destroyer"

http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/

its a couple lines down the list.

Same thing when changing your radeon drivers. uninstall the old one. ATI has a cleaner tool now.

the thing is that what ever quality i use i get the same result low fps and strage picture quality.

like leejend asked.. did you have a previous non ati card ?

and if so what steps did you take to clean out registry entries and the like for that product before installing and using the ati card?

I reinstalled windows when i got the card.
Is it in any way possible that this is a cpu issue i have a
Athlon 1ghz, i dont think so but?

Shouldn't be CPU related. Most likely a driver issue. Or an IRQ conflict. Ooops, reinstalled windows...

Did you reinstall the latest MB chipset drivers before you installed the Radeon drivers? Formatting deletes the MB drivers. If you did not or installed the Radeon drivers first - uninstall the radeon drivers, install the MB chiopset drivers and then reinstall the Radeon drivers.

If you have reinsatlled the MB drivers take a look under Device Manager under the control panel-system-hardware. Check the display adapter-resources see what IRQ it is. Then check your modem, sound card etc. If one of the plug in cards is using the same interrupt as the Radeon move the other card to another PCI slot so it reassigns the IRQ.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Shouldn't be CPU related. Most likely a driver issue. Or an IRQ conflict. Ooops, reinstalled windows...

Did you reinstall the latest MB chipset drivers before you installed the Radeon drivers? Formatting deletes the MB drivers. If you did not or installed the Radeon drivers first - uninstall the radeon drivers, install the MB chiopset drivers and then reinstall the Radeon drivers.

If you have reinsatlled the MB drivers take a look under Device Manager under the control panel-system-hardware. Check the display adapter-resources see what IRQ it is. Then check your modem, sound card etc. If one of the plug in cards is using the same interrupt as the Radeon move the other card to another PCI slot so it reassigns the IRQ.

yah but if it was an IRQ problem he would get an IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO error... not what he is claiming I don't think...

thats when the interrupts are buggered...

however the route you mentioned should be fine...

after trying leejends method dexter... install the latest cats and then use the ati driver cleaner and reinstall it again after doing a clean sweep...

it is possible on a reboot after cleaning drivers windows will attempt to install now WHQL components of ati drivers... you will likely be prompted to install something that is not WHQL... kindlyl refuse to do so... and @ the end of all the prompts... begin installation from the folder where the ati setup file for installing cat 3.9's are sitting...

actually before you do all of this stuff.. go to your ati control panel and see what settings you have there for AA/AF and ensure that TRUFORM is turned off... :cool:

just a thought that crossed my mind...

Oh sorry i forgot to tell I formated the harddrive before reinstaling windows. And i will test the cat 3.9 drivers.
I got a bit higher fps when using 16 bit color than 32.
read on atis page that this could help, but i think that i should get a bit higher fps on urban terror (q3 mod) than 30-40 on the settings i have.

what settings are you using?

remmeber you have 4 pipelines v/s 8 for the bigger brothers and also the 9500pro... in some situations this becomes a bottleneck though the higher core/memory clocks will keep you chugging along...

if you are using high res AND aa/af you are likely going to suffer slow downs..

go ahead and post the settings you are using for the various games incl your control panel settings and lets have a look/see... :cool:

ok here we go
Battlefield 19421024 x 768 x 32
Normal
NO AA/AF
Trueform off
fps: 50 - 70 depending what I do
Nothing wrong with battlefield.

Jedi Academy
640 x 480 x 16
Any setting
NO AA/AF
Trueform off
fps: 20-40

Q3 Urban terror
640 x 480 x 16
NORMAl
NO AA/AF
Trueform off
Fps: 30-50

What i think is starge is that it dosent realy mather what setting i use in academy i still get around 30 fps.
I dont know if this is what you normaly get with a 9600pro, if that is the case im sorry i wasted your time.

Those scores are offensively low on Jedi and Q3 Urban terror at that resolution. The score on BF indicates no probelms with the card or your PC.

Unfortunately I'm flat out of ideas.

Clean windows install, purged all drivers, good vid card, no IRQ disputes or BF would not work so well, I assume new install of Jedi and Q3 since you reformatted.

All 3 games are FPS so the 1 gig CPU should not be an issue (startegy games can load up the CPU and make the video look slow). Hmmm, or maybe it is the CPU. Cutting the color depth in half (32-16) should have had a bigger impact than that on frame rate. That points to a bottleneck in the CPU or System Ram. The 1 gig Athlon probably has a 200 mhz FSB and 100 Mhz SDRAM. Even with that the 20 FPS sounds low.

Is there a faster machine you could try the Q3 or Jedi in with the 9600 Pro card? Also how much system Ram do you have. Less than 192 megs is bad when running Win XP. 256meg is prefered.

okey so I updated my MB drivers like LeeJend suggested.
And it got a little better on academy it could go upp to 50 fps for a few seconds, thou no change on Q3:urban terror.

LeeJend you are right on the cpu and the ram and i have 256 meg.
I'm now downloading cat 3.9 hope that works and i will check how Q3 performs, havent done that.

Thanx for all the suggestegons if anyone have anyone have any other idee it would be very appriciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back