9500 Pro Picture breaks up in MW4 Mercs

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
I finally got tired of waiting for the price to drop and bought the ATI 9500 Pro. It benchmarks fine on madonion 3dmark2001 (latest version) at 10,950. Textures and detail look much better in most of the games I play.

But...
In MW4 Mercenaries when i pan left-right or up-down the display breaks up. Part of the picture keeps moving but part stays put, then the part that didn't pan jumps into place. It's not video lag, I've seen that before. Seems like the card can't move the texture data out fast enough. I even tried reducing the level of detail, and various settings, no joy. Problem is the same playing online or solo. I noticed a little of the same thing in the madonion dragothic test, but pretty minor.

This did not happen with my GE2 or Ge3. It's making many maps unplayable and MW4 is my favorite game. I am not a happy camper. :(

Running the catalyst 3.2 driver 6.14.1.6307 (2/28/03) from the ATI website. The problem was worse with the driver that came with the card a 6.13. Using the VIA Hyperion 4.46 (latest) agp drivers. Windows XP with all the patches except for the cursed 811493.

I uninstalled the old nvidia drivers using add/programs, by hand out of the system32 directory and with regcleaner. Computer specs are in my sig. XP1900, 512 ram at 266 Mhz CL2.0, SBlive.

Any suggestions? Anyone else get this problem?

:mad: :mad:

Originally posted by LeeJend
I finally got tired of waiting for the price to drop and bought the ATI 9500 Pro. It benchmarks fine on madonion 3dmark2001 (latest version) at 10,950. Textures and detail look much better in most of the games I play.

But...
In MW4 Mercenaries when i pan left-right or up-down the display breaks up. Part of the picture keeps moving but part stays put, then the part that didn't pan jumps into place. It's not video lag, I've seen that before. Seems like the card can't move the texture data out fast enough. I even tried reducing the level of detail, and various settings, no joy. Problem is the same playing online or solo. I noticed a little of the same thing in the madonion dragothic test, but pretty minor.

This did not happen with my GE2 or Ge3. It's making many maps unplayable and MW4 is my favorite game. I am not a happy camper. :(

Running the catalyst 3.2 driver 6.14.1.6307 (2/28/03) from the ATI website. The problem was worse with the driver that came with the card a 6.13. Using the VIA Hyperion 4.46 (latest) agp drivers. Windows XP with all the patches except for the cursed 811493.

I uninstalled the old nvidia drivers using add/programs, by hand out of the system32 directory and with regcleaner. Computer specs are in my sig. XP1900, 512 ram at 266 Mhz CL2.0, SBlive.

Any suggestions? Anyone else get this problem?

:mad: :mad:

sounds more like a refresh rate problem than anything else...

turn off vertical sync if possible...

Ahhhh yes, the 9500/9700 horizontal lines problem. I had the same thing with my 9700 Pro, but not as bad as you're describing it. Sure, it was ugly, but my games were playable. One temporary fix is to go into your display properties, settings, advanced. I can't remember the tabs from here (since I don't have the card anymore), but it's something like "displays" or "monitors". Go to that one, and then move the screen position either left or right, then back. That seemed to clear up the issue for some people, I myself never tried it. Also, the problem comes back after every reboot (if it even works, that is). Another solution to some people's line problem (btw, isn't this problem called 'tearing'?) is to use the DVI connector. Hope this helps.

Re: Re: 9500 Pro Picture breaks up in MW4 Mercs

Originally posted by Sazar
sounds more like a refresh rate problem than anything else...

turn off vertical sync if possible...
wouldn't you mean turn on vsync? that prevents tearing.

Re: Re: Re: 9500 Pro Picture breaks up in MW4 Mercs

Originally posted by taurus
wouldn't you mean turn on vsync? that prevents tearing.

I'm on heavy medication :D

cut me some slack lol...

*cuts sazar 2¾" of slack*
next time i'll charge you :p

Sazar and others. Thanks for the feedback it MAY have saved me a trip to the return counter...

Yeah tearing, that's it.

While messing with the vertical sync I hosed some settings so bad no game would work, just black screens after load, so I rolled back to the 6.13.10.6200 driver and now MW4 mercs has no tearing. The pan view lurches when I pan to about 2/3 across the screen but all else is fine...

Nvidia drivers were never this quirky. (were they?)

BTW LOD is a thing of beauty with his card.

I finally got tired of waiting for the price to drop and bought the ATI 9500 Pro.

Mmm, I'm personally waiting for the 9800 Pro w/ 256mb VRAM. But after reading more on this tearing issue I'm starting to wonder. If like me you were confused as to what this "tearing" effect is and want to know go to THIS site which has an adequate explanation; under "The Vertical Retrace".

as far as i know, it's not that ati has tearing issues with their cards. all cards will have this issue until you turn on vsync.

Never had Vsync enabled on my GeForce 2 and never had the problem, at least I didn't notice it. At one point, I had my 9700 Pro installed. I had to RMA it so I stuck my GeForce 2 back in, then I DID have the tearing issues. It seemed like the Radeon left my GeForce 2 the tearing problems. It was weird. Now, I've still got some tearing with my TI 4200, but hopefully the Radeon left it the problem and will go away after another format.

Been off for 2 days actually playing games on the new card. The tearing is a thing of the past.

Several options on the settings screen disappeared when I went back to the older driver. Control of Hsync and Vsync were 2 of them. I also increased my refesh rate to 75 Hz when I reinstalled.

Video is now pretty smooth. A little bit of image lag when I'm panning sidewise really fast in my worst case game, but no more tearing. The jump to 75Hz helped the lag while panning.

After reading Chaos's link it makes sense that a faster refresh helped since now the video card can switch memory buffers more often. And suddenly I appreciate the need for the 128meg of video ram if they are using buffer swapping it's going to eat up the texture memory.

I'm happy with the 9500 PRO and am staying with the old drivers for a while. Time to play, not experiment for a few more fps.

BTW it was real nice knowing I could have (and still can) return card in 30 minutes. Buying locally was worth the extra 20 bucks!
I'm sticking with local on any risk buys from now on.

Thanks again all.

Been off for 2 days actually playing games on the new card. The tearing is a thing of the past.

Several options on the settings screen disappeared when I went back to the older driver. Control of Hsync and Vsync were 2 of them. I also increased my refesh rate to 75 Hz when I reinstalled.

Video is now pretty smooth. A little bit of image lag when I'm panning sidewise really fast in my worst case game, but no more tearing. The jump to 75Hz helped the lag while panning.

After reading Chaos's link it makes sense that a faster refresh helped since now the video card can switch memory buffers more often. And suddenly I appreciate the need for the 128meg of video ram if they are using buffer swapping it's going to eat up the texture memory.

I'm happy with the 9500 PRO and am staying with the old drivers for a while. Time to play, not experiment for a few more fps.

BTW it was real nice knowing I could have (and still can) return card in 30 minutes. Buying locally was worth the extra 20 bucks!
I'm sticking with local on any risk buys from now on.

Thanks again all.

congrats on a job well done... happy gaming...

/me wanders off to get more medicine...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back