8Mbps broadband promised by Christmas

L

Lee

I am so excited I could wet myself :up:

8Mbps broadband promised by Christmas

ISP Thus and BT are trialling a new broadband service that will offer 8Mbps connections straight to the home.

The first tests will begin in April and the company hopes to roll out the service nationwide by the end of the year. No details have yet been released on pricing, but Thus insisted that costs will only increase incrementally.

"Most homes currently have a maximum broadband connection speed of 1Mbps, but once subscribers can connect to more than 2Mbps it opens up a whole new world of possibilities, allowing users to download and stream applications with rich media content," said Nigel Stevens, product director at Thus.

Read More & Source

Many already offer 8mb via LLU, BT are once again just catching up with everyone else.

Bah, i'm still waiting for my 1mb re-grade from BT. 8mb sounds like a dream, though no mention of caps at the moment.

thats anouther reason why i like canada. i got my 8mb connection about 2 years ago from bell. yet when it was new it wasabout 70$ a month but now its only 44$ canadian a month, its great

hmmmm new business plan to be writen up to move bell to UK and use 2 fibre pipes for a back bone. hmmm possably a lot of money in that and with bell backing they have the money HMMMMMMMM

An easier solution would be to remove BT from the UK, maybe dump them in the pacific ocean or something. Failing that we borrow cable from Sweden (closer than the U.S. would be cheaper :p :D) and have 26mb connections, or some of those lovely symmetric 1GB pipes if we're cheeky.

I just goto work... its easier and I get paid to use 100mbits of our 2gbps uplink
;d

yeah I gotta say being sat in a datacentre does give you some damn nice bandwidth :p

UPC is launching an 8 Mbit cable service around here. The difference from all the others is that they offer 8 Mbit down and up.

SDSL would be nice, however prices in the UK are rather high, they're high enough for crappy ADSL, let alone symmetric:

512Kbps £149/mo
1Mbps £250/mo
2Mbps £299/mo
then there's the £250 install fee on top of that.

Robbery :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back