802.11g Connectivity issues

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
My girlfriend has just purchased an Advent 8115 laptop, its a good quality machine for its price and runs Vista Premium.

It has according to Device Manager a RT73 USB Wireless Card, the wireless card is in fact internal and not USB dongle but we cant seem to connect to my Belkin G+ Mimo router, Its showing a full 5 bar signal but still wont connect. I also have and Macbook and another older Advent laptop running XPSP2 Media Centre Edition which all have no problem's connecting.

I hope that this is simply a software issue with compatibility with Vista. Has anyone got any idea's how to try to solve this annoying problem?

Cheers

It may seem obvious but do you have MAC based authentication or any encryption turned on on the router?

No MAC encryption, but i do run WPA Pre-SK and have checked the password over and over again.

No MAC encryption, but i do run WPA Pre-SK and have checked the password over and over again.

FWIW, I've seen this issue several times with WPA and WPA2. More often than not, a driver update fixed the problem. For some reason it's happening quite a bit on new equipment. At work, we just purchased 2 new laptops that had the same problem...so who knows. Anywho...check the driver.

One other thing I've encountered is that some wireless devices absolutely refuse to connect using Windows...but rather require you to connect with their own proprietary utility...so check into that too...

Hope this helps!

Thanks, i'l hunt out the latest and greatest driver and utility from the ralink website :)

Sorry, I had previously been sidetracked.

No luck im afraid, I have updated drivers and added 3rd Party Application for the RT73 Card. I have checked that the router is running the latest firmware, which it is. I have tried changing the Channel from 1 through 13 to try to advoid some interferance.

The only thing I have noticed is disabling WPA and WEP so that there is no Encryption what so ever the connection appears to be that little bit more stable. However I have resumed to using WPA2 as it isnt advisable in my area to have an open network.

sean, disable all security on your router and try and connect then, if it connects you've found your issue if not, well one thing down.

When I disable the Security (as mentioned above) the connection appears more stable, however it does still drop the connection randomly from time to time. I have sent an e-mail to Belkin and I am considering upgrading the firmware to their "pre-release" version.

[edit] - I played around with my network configuration and eventually reverted back to the Dynamode router. Everything works fine now, no connectivity issues at all. Which is odd, but perhaps a windows update fixed issues?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back