7zip

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Ok, im guessing some of you know this utility, but for the rest...

7zip is a free open source archiver. It has its own .7z format but also supports extracting of the popular RARs and ZIPs.
The interface is a bit basic, but on the other hand and considering the use of the software, most likely you won't see it that often.
Another good thing about this little proggie is that it comes in a native 64 bit version, and it supports tons of OSs.

anyway.. i think everyone should check it out, specially since it costs nothing.

the official site is http://www.7-zip.org/

oh, don't get me wrong, winrar is pretty good.. i used to use it myself

but 7zip is free, and so far seems to work good :)

A lot of people in the open source world use 7-zip as well. It is a very good program, but is limited as far as comparison to winrar.

I actually have both 7-zip and winrar installed, and do use it from time to time. But it is not set as my default :)

unrarx for the mac does it for us mac users and it can par files...

winrar is a one-off fee and you get free updates for life. Its also better than 7-zip in everyway but maximum compresion levels :)

it doesnt have an x64 version

and for all u linux/free-soft lovers.. its not open source ;D

I have been using 7Zip for ever now, along side WinAce (for certain files that dont work with 7Zip). With those 2 I never have issues. Awesome program!

Winrar works fine for me on Vista x64 Ultimate. Wow, Winace - haven't heard of that in ages!

Winrar works fine for me on Vista x64 Ultimate. Wow, Winace - haven't heard of that in ages!

Yea I had it around so I installed it, and well it works very well for the files that don't work with 7zip (only a small few, but yea).

yeah, lol, it was like 2 posts ago

by the way... i mentioned the x64 version because it may be faster (thanks to more registers available), but i never meant that 32bit archivers had trouble working on a 64bit version of windows.

Please read before posting, the last few replies was talking about that application. Don't just post to gain rep.

Sorry guys actually i was in a semi sleep mood and my eyes were drooping... i never saw the above posts.:crosseyed:

winrar has a 64bit linux version, so what if its not open source, there are more open source progs for linux than there are for windows

I love WinRAR as well, and the whole 30-day license doesn't seem to be working. You can just close the message box that jumps up when you launch the application, and it'll work fine.

b1 free archiver is a nice response to 7zip. 7zip's interface is rather ugly and complicated - talking both about the website and program's interface. B1 is much more simple and stylish for me

Never heard of that program until now.

The interface does look nice, but for me (I assume many people) I don't go into the interface very often, most of the time I right click, extract, or right click compress and I am done.

Also, people have been using 7zip for so long it's hard to give anything else a chance :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back