7900 GT Fried?

N

Not Bman

Alright, when I installed Vista, I took out my second Nvidia 7900GT card and left it alone. My father took it cause he wanted a new card. I said sure why not, well it turns out that he didn't have the proper power cable for the card so he tried putting 2 different ones together, and when he did that the wires started to burn.
At the point I was like my card better be fine.

After abit I wanted to install my second card back in, cause with the new nvidia drivers and all. Looks like windows can't detect the card, i uninstalled, reinstalled blah blah all the drivers. I know that the card should show up even without the drivers. So is my card really fried? Is there a program to test a video card or something/???

I need help....

You typically have to have the card plugged in because it derives a chunk of it's power from the pci-e slot.

I would perhaps try doing a barebones boot, with nothing but the proc and memory and video card plugged in and see if anything happens.

Based on the description, I have a feeling you probably have a fried card and it's not worth it to perhaps damage the rest of the components you have in your system by using a faulty card.

If still under warranty you can try rma'ing it. Or, get your dad to replace it for you with a lovely new g-80 based gpu :cool:

Why not swap out with the known good one that's in the box atm? If they are the exact same then if there is nothing wrong with card it should boot right up like nothing has changed.

Well at the moment I have both installed into my system, connected properly and all. Only the one good one (the one I have been using) is detected.

I should try running windows with the other card only pluged in, not tryed as SLI?

Then when the card doesn't boot tell your dad he owes you an 8800 GTX since you can't find another 7900 GT to replace yours. Then you can let him have the other 7900 GT to use. Burning or smoking anything is pretty much the kiss of death.

Come to think of it, just tell him the card is fried and go for the 8800 GTX. ;)

PS How much other HW did dad fry in his system?

PPS Never put a part that has been subjected to that much abuse into a working system of any value. Collateral damage is likely.

I'm not going to even try using the card by itself, if the card was alright it would be detected along side the other card.

Why would i get him to get a 8800 GTX? Isn't that a much more expensive card, plus i have a working 7900GT, just not 2 of them.

oh and his system seems to be fine, just the card and those wires were fried, how did nothing else get damaged, i don't know.

any one want a 7900 GT? lol

Why would i get him to get a 8800 GTX? Isn't that a much more expensive card, plus i have a working 7900GT, just not 2 of them.

Because he should feel really bad he trashed your SLI rig.

Yes, that's the whole point.

A grievous loss. Restitution should be made.

Glad to hear he got off light with his system. As for the 7900 GT if it didn't damage your system in SLI mode it should be ok to try stand alone.

So today I had to remove my old soundcard underneath my videocard, so I decided to put the videocard in the slot my "dead" one was, and turned it on, and gave me the beep and black screen........

So that means there is something wrong with my motherboard, not my vidcard, but the funny thing is the store hasen't gotten back yet, and they said they check the cards themself before sending off....so I think both the motherboard and videocard has a problem. WOW im pissed.

DONT" PANIC!

The MB may be okay.

Doesn't a single sli card have to go in the first slot? Check, but I don't think a single card works if installed in the second card.

PS Never lend technology equipment to anyone over 30.

Take the vid card out of the slot it was in and put it in the primary slot to see if works there. Apparently the second slot only works when there is also a card in the primary slot.

Obivoulsy its not in that slot anymore, casue it dosent work there. Its in the slot it always has been in, which works. I know that..

But LeeJend sounded like it might not be broken? Is there a setting in the bios for SLI? maybe turn that off and it would work again?

I'm pretty sure that's all he meant. I'm sure he'll enlighten us soon!

I don't know of a way to 'turn off' SLi but you should be able to play with the lane settings at least, changing from a pair of x8s to one x16 with one x1. I don't think it'll do much for your problem though :(

Somewhere I think I saw something about with only one SLI card it had to be in the first slot. The second slot only works when there are 2 cards.

Doing a little more research...

MBs usually have an SLI function select that determines what and how the SLI lanes are allocated to for the various slots. This may be in bios now. Read the MB manual about setting up the SLI slots for various functions.

Also read through the SLI setup program options.

I'll read the manual for the MB, but what you mean SLI setup program, what program?

WHERE THE HECK in the new Nviida control panel is disable or enable SLI, there new setup is crap, there is no options at all, except for stupid useless stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, when you only have 1 video card you MUST use the 1st PCI-E slot. If you run SLI or dual card mode, then you can have another one connected.

Yes, when you only have 1 video card you MUST use the 1st PCI-E slot. If you run SLI or dual card mode, then you can have another one connected.

Yea we figured out that one, but I need to turn it off.

I need to figure that one out, and within the Nvidia Control panel I can't find that.

I'll read the manual for the MB, but what you mean SLI setup program, what program?

WHERE THE HECK in the new Nviida control panel is disable or enable SLI, there new setup is crap, there is no options at all, except for stupid useless stuff.

If I remember, open the Nvidia Control Panel and click "View" on the top tool bar and set it to "Advanced". You basically just click "Advanced" and that's it, you don't get a check mark by it or anything but all the extra icons are then shown. Now click on the "3D" icon on the main/home window and "Set SLI Configuration" should be listed under "Performance". Click on that. I am pretty sure it's in there.

If this is on Vista the drivers do not yet have all the options in the Nvidia control panel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back