7900 GT freezes in 3D games

Scott Young

Real picture of me
I just installed my geforce 7900GT today and it seems to freeze in all 3D games either straight away or after a minute or so, i tried half-life 2, battlefield 2, age of empires 3 and darwinia.

I have a XFX 7900GT 520M

What are the other system specs you have? Drivers? Other items you might have installed or any other symptoms or issues you might have?

Ive had to switch pc because it has begun to freeze on the desktop.

Im using 84.21 drivers, i installed a new motherboard - MSI K8N NEO4-F, i had an ATI card (9550) installed before and i unistalled the drivers and unistall utility in the control panel but when i try to use driver cleaner it freezes(not sure if it because it freezes at that moment or because it has something to do with driver cleaner)

Temperatures are actually lower at idle than with the previous gigabyte motherboard.

RAM is crucial PC3200 512MB X2
PSU is a Q-TEC 500W
CPU is 64 bit Athlon 3200+ SOCKET 939

All these components were fine running with my 6800, then i sold that and put the 9550 in until i recieved my new graphics card.

Last edited:
Well if the drivers are not installed properly, that could be one issue. It would be easier to elimnate them as a root cause and then see if the problem persists.

the freezing is worse now, it freezes in the desktop after 2-3 minutes in the desktop..infact 1-2 minutes after uninstalling the display drivers, im just going to reformat that hard disk.and i cant even back it up :( aw well

edit: if this doesnt work, i am going to cry

This sounds more like a hardware issue with the card itself. Make sure the cards fan is working.

TO be honest the amount of time wasted to find the solution, might be easier to format reinstall xp, sounds drastic, but i'm lazy and thats what i would do.

Your psu even a cheap one is more than powerful enough for the card, I really don't think its a driver issue either.

good job, if its hardware it'll do the same, otherwise there is no reason for it to do the same again after a reformat.

Did you check the card fan?

yep, seems to be spinning quite nicely

hmm my hard drive seems to be making a noise like it does when it shuts down, and stops spinning, and then the pc freezes....

EDIT sorry my psu is actually 450 watts

Last edited:
now your saying your pc is freezing?

well it was original freezing that was the problem, but it jsut did again after i reformatted... and the hard drive shut off right before that

im installing oblivion to see if itll run ill keep an ear on the hdd:eek:

well that didnt work, i played oblvion and after about 10-20 seconds it froze

think it looks like ill need to return the card :( :( :(

Could it be the motherboard? I tired oblvion a few time it runs ok then freezes. One time the speakers made horrible screeching noises then froze at the loading screen.......

UPDATE: The computer now freezes when the windows desktop appears

Tried oblvion again, getting some artifacts, little dots of colour near the top of the screen

The computer also crashes when trying to install windows SP2, when its nearly finished installing i get a blue screen of death

Last edited:
Your computer just might not have enough juice or something else is buggered and is causing issues.

Drivers would cause some conflicts and possible hard-locks, a la IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO errors.

This sounds like an issue with inadequate juice or some other underlying issue with temps perhaps, although both your proc and your video card are designed to throttle.

Your psu could well be the main culprit.

-edit-

dots and colors are a sign of possible over-heating as well. Do you have any friends with a rig they can try out the card in? And if you have your old card, stick it in and see if the problems go away.

Unfortunatly my old set up is agp, i think my mate has a new dell pc that may have pci-e i could try, ill also try another psu

As for overheating the card sits idle at 45 degrees C, should i set an alarm to go off if it gets too high? Its currenlty set for 125 and hasnt went off...my 6800 used to run at 50 idle, the case is well cooled.

When i was putting the heatsink back on my cpu i didnt clean off the grease maybe it needs to be cleaned and re applied

BTW.thanks for the interst and help you guys are showing!:)

Was this the same cpu you had trouble pulling out of the socket?

If you did pull it out, do you think you might have damaged it a little?

yeh it was the same CPU.

I dont think i damaged it, i was very very carfull getting the heat sink off, all the pins were in-tact.

The only thin im worried about is did i put to much pressure down on the cpu when i was putting the heat sink back on? I had a little trouble pushing it on then i discovered it was on far enough i just forgot to clamp it, i didnt push it very hard i put just a slight bit off pressure on it. If i test the card in another system i could rule that out couldnt I?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back