7800gt Vs X1800xl

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Does anyone have any idea which is the better card? Still can't decide which to go for, i'm leaning towards nvidia only because they rarely let me down.

Any advice?

Thanks

I am very impressed with my X1800 series card. And the XL is supposed to clock very high with the right kind of cooling.

i will never be ocing my card, so with that in mind which is better?

Not even with the ATI provided driver installed tool to do so, not voiding your warranty? As ATI seems to be encouraging OC'ing to kick the shiz out of Nvidia?

well if ati actually has a program that guarantees performance and a stable card i would probably do it otherwise no.

After looking at a few google sites, I would say go with the 7800GT as it seems to have a slight edge.

I also own this card and it performs very well. I may get a second one and go with a SLI setup.

It is part of the Catylyst Control Center, and they have a program that runs and determines the highest safe speed for the GPU and Memory, then sets it to it in the 3D enviroment.

I have avoided Nvidia for 3 upgrade cycles (4 years) because of early card death and their being power pigs with the GE4 and GE5 series (GE6 are power pigs also).

BUT having just bought an ATI X800XL AIW I am disappointed with the product.
-The performance is supposed ot be comparable to a 6800GT but I do not feel it is in real world games.
-ATI is overpriced compared to the equivalent Nvidia products.
-The AIW has so many driver compatibility problems it is pathetic (unfortunately I did the research after I bought).

KNowing what I learned in the last 6 weeks, if it were my cash I would buy the 7800GT.

You know LeeJend, I did read something yesterday on this....

All the AIW are clocked down, or they appear to be. The non-AIWs, and especially non ATI branded (ie Sapphires and such) are much more stable, and ready to OC.

On the drivers, best to go with the omega version. I've gone back and forth, and benchmarked - and his drivers give me about 10% performance increase on MOST benches. Not all.

and yeah, that 7800GT looks red hot. It's specs are way beyond what ATI can offer right now.... cept perhaps the X1800

LeeJend said:
I have avoided Nvidia for 3 upgrade cycles (4 years) because of early card death and their being power pigs with the GE4 and GE5 series (GE6 are power pigs also).

BUT having just bought an ATI X800XL AIW I am disappointed with the product.
-The performance is supposed ot be comparable to a 6800GT but I do not feel it is in real world games.

There has to be a problem with your configuration.

My card is better in the majority of games I play than my old 6800 ultra OC was. I have no idea why your performance is low.

-ATI is overpriced compared to the equivalent Nvidia products.

Depends, the X1800XL perhaps is but the X1800XT is fabulous bang for the buck compared to the 7800gtx 512MB. The 7800 gt is the best all round bang for the buck.

For the 6800 v/s x800 series cards, its a push. Below that, nvidia offers better value.

-The AIW has so many driver compatibility problems it is pathetic (unfortunately I did the research after I bought).

Again unsure about what the issues are you are experiencing here because I have used AIW products on and off for a long while now and I have no real issues (other than the fact I have to reinstall my MMC drivers everytime I upgrade my cat's )

KNowing what I learned in the last 6 weeks, if it were my cash I would buy the 7800GT.

That is the sweet spot for cards right now :)

Mastershakes said:
You know LeeJend, I did read something yesterday on this....

All the AIW are clocked down, or they appear to be. The non-AIWs, and especially non ATI branded (ie Sapphires and such) are much more stable, and ready to OC.

This is not true. Some version perhaps but the majority of the AIW's are the same clocks as the stock cards they are based on.

On the drivers, best to go with the omega version. I've gone back and forth, and benchmarked - and his drivers give me about 10% performance increase on MOST benches. Not all.

Again, not always accurate. I stopped going omega and the reason for that is pure stability and peace of mind. Omega does give you performance benefits more so than the standard drivers though, this is correct.

and yeah, that 7800GT looks red hot. It's specs are way beyond what ATI can offer right now.... cept perhaps the X1800

7800gt smacks the 1800XL around the noggin. Best bang for the buck on the market currently.

Mastershakes
The gpu and ram on my card are clocked at the same speed as non-AIW cards. My comment was with regard to actual performance. The benchmarks come out right where they are supposed to, BUT:
-There is sometimes very objectionable tearing when I pan, sometimes it's smooth as silk. I've tried multiple driver settings.
-In some scenes (particularly machine gun turrets) sometimes the textures breakdown and I can see the triangles. It is very obvious and very annoying.

As for overclocking. I've had 2 of this card. The first one overclocked to the max expected for the X800XL. The replacement does not overclcok very well, so poorly in fact I haven't even bothered with it since doing an initial check.

SAZAR
As for the AIW sound drivers they are not compatible with the Via 890 chipset sound. I tried multiple MB drivers and multiple ATI drivers. ATI tech support was unaware of the problem and there are numerous complaints on owner reviews besides mine. The ATI MMC needs a lot of work. And their control center has been a sluggish dog since it came out, even on an AMD 64, XP3800.

I think I may give the Omega's a try. Never had any improvement with them before but it's worth a shot.

ok i think i'll go with the 7800gt after reading all this, i bought my friend a x800xl a while back and he doesn't like it either.

But like i said in a previous post it is the agp ones that suffer this slowness, for some reason the pci-e version of the x800xl, is faster than the 6800gt in almost all games.

Lancer your friend is crazy, for the money, the x800XL is one of the best bang for your buck cards out there... I havent looked to see the price drop is... but its still a smoking good card...

how do you guys justify the 400+ dollar expense for a videocard?
i have a hard time clicking the checkout button.. its just.. too much.

I just spent $280 and was disappointed. I wish I'd gone for the 7800GT.
The bottom line is if you want a card that is going to last through 2 years of new games spend the $400.

The justification:
7 hours a week of gaming x 104 weeks over 2 years = 728 hours.
Divide $400/728 hours = 58 cents an hour over game cost for top performance.

A movie at the theatre costs $4 an hour.

A meal out costs $10-20 an hour

A cellphone costs $600 a year (twice what land line costs).

Your gas guzzling SUV costs you $360 a year more than a car for gasoline.

Do the math. That 7800GT is a bargain.

PS I hate you for making me think through all this now. I am REALLY pissed I did not get the 7800GT now!

haha
thanks for breaking it down.
i've been laying off the games lately. i guess thats why i cant justify it.
doesnt toms have a writeup for these two cards?

I had the X800Pro oc'd to an X800XT-PE

But recently I upgraded to a 7800GTX and this thing is OUTSTANDING!
I've heard the 7800GT's are really good. I see a lot of people have them for their rigs.

I'd suggest the 7800GT. It would be nice in SLI.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back